𝟐𝟗. Self-Control

𝙸 𝚔𝚗𝚘𝚠 𝚑𝚘𝚠 𝚖𝚞𝚌𝚑 𝚒𝚝 𝚖𝚊𝚝𝚝𝚎𝚛𝚜 𝚝𝚘 𝚢𝚘𝚞

𝙸 𝚔𝚗𝚘𝚠 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚐𝚘𝚝 𝚒𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚛 𝚒𝚜𝚜𝚞𝚎𝚜

24th November – US Championship, Day 3 [PART1]

"It's today." Benny sat in bed, observing her movements, disentangling the hair.

After a night adorned with passionate promises, exchange of looks fulfilled with hopes and dreams and touches that could reach the soul, the next day felt like a cold shower. They didn't forget what was supposed to happen today but after their conversation the last thing that crossed their minds was the main event of the year: the final match, between Elizabeth Harmon and Benny Watts.

"I know." She mumbled, trying to swallow the invisible bubble plumped with her darkest fears, insecurities that could explode after the match. The idea of defeating the person she cared the most as a way to earn something back, felt paradoxical. "Are you ready?" She lifted from the wood chair, looking at Benny.

His attempt of hiding his face with the hat was irrelevant for that moment. Both were in synchrony since the moment their feet landed in the Earth, again. Last year seemed meaningless in their eyes. Maybe it was their fault, after all. Both decided to embrace their feelings, they were the creators of the whole situation.

"What's go-"

"I don't know, Beth." Benny shrugged his shoulders, driving his eyes to the ceiling. "Even if I don't win, I'm ok with that. I already won tons of shit during my career. Obviously, I won't make things easy for you just because we have this..." Benny gazed at Beth briefly, before redirecting his look again "thing."

"I didn't expect less than that." Beth stepped calmly near to him, standing in front of him. "I won't make you live easier."

Benny propped his coat before resting his eyes on her. Beth could feel her world trembling under her feet. Benny smiled at her, intertwining their fingers.

"If you win, I'll be very proud for seeing you happy. Just for today, you are forbidden to look at me like whose gonna jump over the board to eat me. I really like it, but we should be civilized in front of people." Benny tried to clear the air, outlining a smile after hearing her nasal laugh.

"How can you be so s-"

"Please love, save the compliments for later." He laughed, squeezing her cheek.

"You're unbelievable." Beth answered, rolling her eyes.

"I should go. See you in two hours."

"Where are you going?"

"Staying here it's definitely not a choice. You look gorgeous and I'm afraid of losing my control madam." Benny joked. "See you later, redhead." He kissed her forehead, before leaving the room.

[...]

"Miss Harmon, you have a visitor." The male voice informed her through the phone. "It's a blonde lady."

Beth smiled grew up in the red lips and without hesitations, she allowed the visit from the guest.

"No way, what are you doing here?" Beth couldn't help the laugh that slipped of her throat.

"Hello my love." Sophie grinned, hugging her tightly.

Seeing Sophie was probably the best way to calm the heart rhythm. Beth felt trapped in a constant loop between angst and insecurity. Jolene was the first person that crossed her mind but after trying to reach her 7 times without any success, Beth gave up. She was aware about Jolene's trip which the destination was Africa. Jolene spoke with her during a week about her plan as a way to provide a better education to the children of low class. Beth was really proud about her friend's achievements but on the other hand, she missed a lot talking with her best friend.

"Why are you here?"

"Silly question. The main reason is to support you, naturally."

"Ok... the second?" Beth followed her movements, trying to catch something that could lead her to the next reason.

"Beth..." Sophie quickly made her way to the redhair, holding her hands. Sophie eyes were now a little reddish and a smile that lavished relief showed in her lips. "The wedding is scheduled."

"No, you're joking!" Beth covered the mouth with her hands. "Sophie, that's amazing! I'm so happy for you." The girl involved Sophie in her arms, resting the head in her shoulder. "Congratulations!"

"Thank you, really." Sophie whispered, squeezing her. " I know it's a little at the last minute but it's set for 3rd, next month."

"Next month?" Beth couldn't hide the surprise in her voice. "But it's winter... I thought summer was-"

"And it was, but I've been searching, and I found this little chapel that's very well-known for their flora that only blossoms during the winter. Please accept it, please, please."

"Sophie I won't miss your wedding for anything in the world." Beth smiled, wiping the little tears formed in her friend's eyes. "Now, you can't cry because if you cry, I'll cry too, ok?" Sophie laughed, nodding with her head.

"How do you feel?"

"About what?

"You got more dumber since I left you." Sophie joked. "About playing against your dude."

"Oh that." Beth passed with her hand in the back of the neck, giving a nervous laugh. "I don't know how to feel. I'm so scared."

"I believe, angel. It's impossible to stay calm, being in your position." Sophie rubbed Beth's back. "You guys can't mix your personal life with the professional one."

"Try to sleep with him and then say it again." Beth rolled her eyes.

"I'll pass, thank you." Sophie grimaced. "You need to deal with this like the last year, when you played against him. I know you will win but if you don't, you can't hate him or push him away. You have to deal with your emotions, you hear me Beth?" Sophie putted her hands in Beth's shoulders, receiving a nod from her.

★★★★

Please, don't hate me in the next chapter :') It will be worth it. Trust in the process ♡♡