𝟏𝟖. Pillow talk

「  𝚈𝚘𝚞 𝚌𝚊𝚕𝚕 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚜𝚑𝚘𝚝𝚜, 𝚋𝚊𝚋𝚎 
𝙸 𝚓𝚞𝚜𝚝 𝚠𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚊 𝚋𝚎 𝚢𝚘𝚞𝚛𝚜  」

1st November – 21 days until US Championship

Tomorrow will be Elizabeth's birthday but, even sounding corny, she already had the best gift: Talk with Benny. Benny left hotel today and now Beth was feeling lonely. She didn't want to play chess without him, her body was too lazy to leave the couch. On tv nothing was interesting enough to catch her attention. Jolene was at college and she already talked with Sophie. Having him around was bad for her.

Her eyes traveled through the division, stopping at the piano. This year, Alma wouldn't be here in flesh and bones, only in spirit. That thought made her feel melancholic. She couldn't let the sadness consume her. In a flash, her body got up and went to the kitchen's table where her table chess was. She'd rather be haunted by her good memories with Benny than the gloomy thoughts about Alma not being present.

...

Beth's eyes opened lazily and slowly as the door knocks started to sound louder and louder. Her face was burning and then she realized: she felt asleep over the chess table. Her feet were dragged to the door, echoing in the whole house the sound of her slippers rubbing in the wood floor.

" Who is i-"

"Hello."

A grin blossomed in her lips. She could feel her heart jumping so louder, making her realize that the moment was completely real.

" Benny. " She enrolled his neck with her small arms, making him chuckle. " You're real."

" I guess I am. " He wrapped her waist, squeezing her gently. "Can I come in? It's so cold outside."

" Oh yes, I'm sorry. " She laughed trying to hide the embarrassment. "Come in."

Benny looked at the house carefully, analyzing each part. He landed his bags near to the staircases, walking in circles around the living room.

" Your house it's nice."

" I know right. This is what people called a house. " She joked, making him smile.

" I know, your favorite chess piece is the queen but it's kinda unnecessary to sleep on top of her." He replied with playful smile in his lips.

" Oh shut up. " Beth chuckled. "Are you hungry? I can make som-"

" I've already eaten, but I can cook for you. It been a long time since you ate an actual good food."

" Don't forget what you said. The breakfast is on you tomorrow."

Elizabeth couldn't stop grin for seeing Benny Watts in her living room. She had no words to describe her happiness.

" So, when did you arrive?"

" Thirty minutes ago. It was hard to find a taxi at night."

" I mean this isn't properly New York so... " She shrugged, sitting on the couch. "When will you leave?"

" Seventh. "He walked to the couch. " I didn't ask you if I could come in. It was supposed to be a surprise."

" And it was, Benny. " Beth's laughed. " A good surprise."