Chapter 7

Dev's P. O. V

The sound of the bell echoes through the classroom, shattering the tranquility that had enveloped us, a temporary escape from the monotony of the lessons. I swiftly gather my books, yearning for the freedom that the break promises. Arya rises from her seat, her movements brimming with anticipation. "Finally, break time," she exhales, her voice a mixture of relief and urgency. "It's the only thing keeping us sane."

Raj lets out a chuckle as he closes his book. "Sane might be a stretch, Arya. But it's the lifeline we've got."

A playful gleam dances in Arya's eyes as she flashes a grin. She adjusts her stance, her tone conspiratorial. "Dev, have you explored the school's cafeteria?"

I shake my head, intrigued by what awaits in the canteen. The cafeteria remains an uncharted territory for me.

Arya's decisiveness is palpable as she grabs my arm, inviting me to join her. "Let's introduce you to the realm of questionable cafeteria cuisine."

I briefly glance at Raj, silently extending an invitation. However, Raj's movements are purposeful, signaling, "You two enjoy. Prefect duties call."

A pang of disappointment hits me as I notice the golden badge on Raj's shirt—a symbol of authority adorned with a rising "P" inside an open book, encircled by leaves.

"What's a prefect?" I inquire, my curiosity awakened.

Raj steps closer, ready to explain, but an announcement blares suddenly from a speaker in the corner of the room. All eyes turn toward it, although many students appear unfazed.

"Prefects, please assemble in my office. Thank you."

"I should head over," Raj mumbles, making his way toward the classroom door. However, a figure, previously unnoticed by me, swiftly rises and stands in his path. Tall and slender, this new character sports round glasses that magnify his eyes. But his demeanor lacks warmth. What underlies this tension?

Raj's voice carries a directness that's new to me. "What's your agenda?" A challenge underlies his words, a fearless streak emerging.

The newcomer doesn't back down, a sarcastic smile tugging at his lips. "What's your currency, prefect?" His gaze dismissively sweeps over Raj's badge.

"True, maybe I can't lay everything out upfront. But remember, you've got to earn your stripes," Raj retorts, his words infused with a sharpness. The air crackles with tension, their locked gazes a silent battle, expressions painted with defiance. The room buzzes, an impending storm waiting to break.

I lean toward Arya, whispering, "We should intervene before things escalate. Or else we might end up hiding bodies."

Arya wastes no time, her voice cutting through the charged atmosphere. "Dev, let's make our way to the principal's office."

"Hold on, weren't you taking him to the cafeteria?" Raj's brows knit in confusion, our diversion doing its job.

A mischievous grin graces Arya's face. "Well, that was the plan, but attending the meeting sounds more intriguing, especially since our designated prefect might not reach in time."

Raj chuckles, a trace of a smile lingering. "Alright, you win. I'll head to the office now," he concedes, moving to leave. However, the figure in his way remains unyielding, blocking Raj's exit. Raj's patience wears thin, and he strides past, resolute in his journey to the principal's office.

The figure's voice follows him, laced with a sneer, "Are you certain you've earned what you possess?"

Raj's sudden halt catches my attention, and I observe his rigid posture and clenched fists. An internal tempest seems to be brewing within him, evident from the way he struggles to hold himself together. Arya and I exchange a concerned glance, both recognizing that something isn't right. Should I step in? Raj's unraveling is unsettling, a stark contrast to the Raj I've slowly begun to understand. Our connection is delicate, like a fragile thread that I'm afraid to tug on too hard. The charged tension in the air feels like an insurmountable divide, a chasm that engulfs the atmosphere.