Chapter 8

Dev's P.O.V.

"Do you even think before speaking?" I ask Arya, my pace quickening as I struggle to keep up with her hurried steps. The familiar pang of anxiety gnaws at me, especially when we're running late for the next class.

Her mischievous smile widens, and she throws a teasing glance my way. "I didn't say anything wrong, you're actually adorable, and it's not like you're going to ask me out, are you?" Her words send a shiver down my spine, a reminder of how she can effortlessly wield her confidence like a weapon.

Stumbling over my thoughts, I attempt to find the right words to respond. Her gaze, however, leaves me paralyzed, rendering my mind blank. So, I decide to shift the focus, breaking the awkward silence that threatens to engulf us. "Hey, what if we're late? Will the teacher give us a hard time for it?"

Arya's steps quicken even more, and I struggle to keep up with her energetic pace. "We're not kids anymore. She won't resort to corporal punishment, but standing outside the classroom for the entire class is a real possibility," she replies, her voice tinged with urgency.

"Standing outside? That's the extent of our punishment?" I remark, my breath coming out in uneven puffs as I match her pace.

Her laugh tinkles like a distant bell, adding a touch of lightness to the tense situation. "Well, it might sound lenient compared to your old school, but Bindya mam is a different story. She's strict and old-school, the kind who's not a fan of mobile phones. If a phone rings during her class, she's more likely to dial your parents herself."

Bindya mam? Oh right, she's the one who taught English yesterday. Her stern demeanor and eagle-like observation skills made an impression. I find her intimidating, with her round red bindi, piercing eyes, and her no-nonsense approach to discipline. Wrapped in a heavy saree, her appearance exudes authority, and her demeanor reinforces it. Yesterday, she caught a boy using his phone during her class, promptly confiscating it and summoning his parents to school.

What if she calls my dad? I mean, I'm just ten minutes late, surely she wouldn't... right? May I rest in peace.

Arya's voice breaks through my anxious thoughts, her calmness a stark contrast to my inner turmoil. "I think the teacher hasn't arrived yet." Her words quell my racing heart for a moment. Does she sense my nervousness, or is this a regular occurrence for her? My own jittery nature feels exacerbated amidst the uncertainty of being in a new environment. Unlike me, Arya seems unperturbed, her nonchalance a silent reassurance.

The corridors stretch ahead, empty and echoing with the sound of our footsteps. We're the only ones traversing this path, our footsteps echoing in the stillness. As we approach 11 grade classrooms, I'm acutely aware of the weight of my second day here. The unfamiliarity intensifies, magnifying the potential embarrassment of late arrival. What will the teacher think? More importantly, what will my classmates, especially Raj, make of it? As we pass by the other 11th-grade classrooms – 11E, 11D, 11C – it's evident that they're already immersed in their lessons. And then, we reach 11B.

The classroom door looms before us, and I take a cautious step back, a reflexive retreat guided by my apprehension. Arya, a beacon of assurance, does the same. Avoiding any awkward encounters, particularly with Raj, feels like a priority. Where's Raj? My gaze sweeps across the room, lingering on the vacant seats. And then, I spot Raj, deep in conversation with Bindya mam near her desk. Even with his back turned, there's a chance he could notice us if he happens to glance in our direction. He seems preoccupied, though.

I clear my throat, mentally preparing myself to ask for permission to enter the room, but suddenly, Arya nudges me with her elbow. Her mischievous smile catches my attention, and she subtly gestures towards the backdoor of the classroom. I understand what she's suggesting, but it's not an idea I'm keen on embracing. I shake my head in response, a firm expression of my reluctance. I've always maintained a disciplined approach to school, preferring to avoid any form of chaos or trouble. That's just who I am.