Chapter 46

Dev's P.O.V.

The shock is immediate and overwhelming. My stomach churns with a sickening feeling, and my hands start to tremble involuntarily. Panic sets in, and I'm left reeling, unable to process what just happened. This isn't the dad I've been connecting with today. It's a stark reminder of the distance that still exists, and it fills me with a deep sense of discomfort and unease.

As his disapproving expression widens before my eyes, my anxiety surges to the surface like a tidal wave. Panic grips me, and I can feel my heart racing, pounding against my chest as if trying to break free. My breath becomes shallow and rapid, struggling to find a rhythm.

The clothing racks around me seem to close in, the colors and patterns blurring together in a dizzying swirl. I glance around nervously, feeling a sudden, irrational fear that everyone in the store is judging me, just like my dad did.

My hands, already trembling, begin to feel clammy, and I clench and unclench them, trying to regain some semblance of control. I wish I could escape, find a quiet corner to catch my breath, but I'm frozen in place, unable to move.

I make my way over to my mom, who's browsing through clothes in a quiet corner of the store. Her back is turned to me as she examines a T-shirt, and she doesn't notice me approaching until I'm right beside her. When she finally turns and sees my face, her expression shifts from casual interest to deep concern.

"Dev, you okay?" she asks, her voice filled with worry.

I can't find the words to respond, so I simply shake my head, a subtle yet desperate plea for understanding.

Her gaze follows mine, and she notices the young couple near my dad. Her eyes then shift to my dad, who seems oblivious to the tension building around us.

Without saying a word, my mom makes a decision. She sets down the T-shirt she was holding and gently takes my hand. Her touch is reassuring, a lifeline in this moment of anxiety. With a determined look in her eyes, she heads towards my dad.

I watch as she approaches him, unsure of what she'll say. She engages in a brief conversation with him, their voices hushed. He appears confused at first, but as she speaks, he begins to understand.

Finally, he nods in reluctant agreement, and my mom turns back to me, her face softening with understanding. "We're going home, is that okay with you?" she says gently.

I nod, relieved that she's understood my unspoken plea. My anxiety is still present, but the thought of leaving this overwhelming situation offers some comfort. With my mom by my side, we head toward the store's exit, leaving behind the discomfort and disapproval that had engulfed us moments ago.

As we leave the store, I can't help but glance back one last time at the gay couple. They're still there, enjoying their time together, oblivious to the impact they've had on my day.

My mom and I sit together in the back seat of the car as we drive away from the mall, leaving behind our initial plans to watch a movie. The silence in the car is heavy, filled with the weight of unspoken words and the lingering turmoil that has settled in my chest.

As I sit there, my heart feels like it's in a vice grip, and my anxiety intensifies with every passing second. The comment my dad made, the disgusted look he gave that gay couple in the store, it's all swirling in my mind like a relentless storm. I can't help but feel like I'm drowning in a sea of conflicting emotions.

A part of me is angry, furious even, at my dad's judgmental attitude. How could he be so insensitive, so intolerant? I thought today was a turning point for us, a chance to bond and bridge the gap that had existed for so long. But his words and that look shattered that hope into a million pieces.