Chapter 36

Dev's P. O.V.

The conversation continues, but as we exchange a few more sentences, there's an awkward pause. The silence stretches, and I can't help but fidget slightly in my seat. It's like we're both struggling to find the right words, to bridge the gap that's been there for a while.

Out of the corner of my eye, I catch Mom in the kitchen. She's smiling and shaking her head, a knowing amusement in her eyes. It's as if she can sense our awkwardness and finds it endearing.

She smiles at both of us, her gaze shifting between Dad and me.

"Dev, sweetheart, I won't be able to drop you to school today. How about your dad takes you instead, and I'll pick you up?"

I'm momentarily taken aback, surprised by her suggestion. But then, it all clicks into place. She's creating an opportunity, giving us a chance to spend some time together. A sense of appreciation washes over me for her subtle understanding.

Dad seems to catch on too, and he nods in agreement.

"Sure, that works. I can drop him off."

Mom's smile widens, and she pats Dad's shoulder affectionately. "Great! It's settled then."

With the plan set, Mom's soft steps fade away, leaving Dad and me in a more comfortable silence. The air seems lighter now, as if we share a newfound understanding. I turn to Dad, an awkward chuckle leaving my mouth as I shrug. "Looks like we'll be going to school together today."

He meets my gaze, a genuine smile gracing his face. "Yes, it seems so."

As Dad and I settle into the car, there's a mixture of anticipation and nervousness in the air. It's a new experience, riding to school with dad, and I can tell that Dad is genuinely making an effort to connect. I steal a glance at him, seeing the determination in his eyes, and it warms my heart.

He clears his throat and then points out to a new building under construction along the road. "Hey, look at that. They're building something big there. Wasn't there the last time we passed by?"

I follow his gaze and nod, appreciating his attempt to strike up a conversation. "Yeah, it's a new mall they're putting up. It's coming along pretty quickly."

The conversation flows a bit awkwardly, but it's a start—a start that wasn't there before, a foundation we're building anew. We share a small smile, both aware of the significance of this moment.

After a brief pause, Dad chuckles softly. "You know, when I was your age, there used to be a small grocery store there. Your grandpa would send me to buy things, and I'd always end up taking the long way back because I was too busy exploring."

I can't help but chuckle at the image he paints. "Sounds like you were quite the explorer."

He nods, a nostalgic glint in his eyes. "Oh, absolutely. There was this one time when I got lost on the way back and ended up in a park on the other side of town. Your grandpa wasn't too happy, let me tell you."

I laugh, genuinely entertained by his story. "I can imagine. Did you ever find your way back home?"

He grins. "Eventually, after a lot of asking for directions. But you know what they say, it's the journey that matters."

As we continue down the road, Dad opens up about more childhood stories, each one painting a picture of his younger days. And with every tale he tells, I find myself drawn in, hanging on to his every word. It's like I'm seeing a side of him that I hadn't seen before, a side that's eager to connect and bond.

"You know, there was this time when I tried to impress your mom by showing off my 'amazing' cooking skills. I decided to make her a fancy dinner, and let's just say it didn't turn out quite as planned."