Chapter 143

Just finish up the questions, and then you can leave. "When did you become co-captain?"

"2010,"

I write that down. Okay, now hint around AJ. "If you were co-captain, that means that it was a captain; what was his name?"

His jaw clenches, and he sits up a little straighter; he puts the jay in his mouth and inhales another breath. He holds it for about five seconds and then releases it into the air in my direction; the familiar smell goes up my nose, causing me to desire it in my body. Though I am not actually smoking, I wouldn't be surprised if I get high just from being in the room with it. Clouds are already forming around us.

"AJ," he answers.

I nod; okay, he openly admitted that. "Were you two close?"

"Best friends," he says and gives me a quick sarcastic smile.

If he wants to joke around, I guess I will too. "Best friends? Really? Well, I guess you took his death really hard. Imagine your best friend committing suicide," He narrows his eyes and takes a deep breath; I'm not supposed to know it was suicide. It was supposed to think what everyone else does, that it was just a regular death or that it never happened.

"Imagine your best friend committing suicide and then the friend keeping it a secret. Everyone keeping it hidden, trying to make something tragic that happened disappear,"

He sucks in a breath and says, "Well, it's a good thing that's not the case," His phone rings on the table; he looks at the number and then says, "If you would excuse me for a second," He takes the phone and walks into the bathroom closing the door behind him.

It's working; I should have answers in no time. When I look down, I spot a balled-up piece of paper on the floor next to my shoe. I bend over, picking it up, and slowly opening it, careful not to make too much noise. There's a name and a number.

Rosita Valentina

570-866-0218

The bathroom door opens up; I don't have time to ball the paper back up and stick it in my pocket, so instead, I put it between my legs.

"Because I have something to do later, I think it would be best if we speed this up," he comes out and says. "So how about you stop hitting around shit and ask what you really want to know,"

I lean forward and place my hands on the table, "Why did he kill himself?"

"Why are you so sure he did?" he counters.

"I have a blog post that says he did," This time, his body freezes; he wasn't expecting me to say that, "I guess whoever paid off everyone to stay silent forgot about one," I smile and lean my head to the side.

He says, "You think you know everything, you think you have it all figured out, but you don't, you don't know anything," he spits.

"You know what I think,"

"Enlighten me,"

I take a deep breath, "I think you had something to do with AJ killing himself; maybe you bullied him because he was captain and you were co-captain," that's a stupid fucking thing to do, but it happens.

Jealousy is humankind's deadliest disease.

"Or maybe you just bullied him for no reason," Which also happens a lot. "I think you bullied him so bad that he ended up killing himself. He was the town's star lacrosse player; his death would have been bad publicity for the school, not only for the school but for one of the most prominent families in the town," The Adams Family.