Chapter 130

I feel pretty/Unpretty -Glee Version *the original version is by TLC, but I prefer Glee's

Human- Christina Perri

~~~

Welp, today is the day. The day we have all been waiting for.

Christmas!

"Woe is me," I say out loud in my soon not to be empty room.

On cue, I hear my mother marching up the stairs, getting ready to order me around on this big day. I grab the pillow, using it to cover my face.

"We need to get started early," she announces. She walks over to my window and lifts the blinds; even with the pillow over my face, my eyes still sting from the light. "Jayda," she says a little too seriously with bass in her voice.

It's either her hormones or the fact that tonight is one of the social season's biggest events.

Who wouldn't want to party with the Kings? No pun intended.

I laugh at my inside joke and then remove the pillow from my face. After sitting up on the bed, my mother eyes me up and down, "First things first, the hair. What are we going to do about that?"

"I was thinking a bun or a ponytail," My usual two hairstyles.

She shakes her head, disapproving, "No. Definitely not. How about braids? I can drop you off at Shelly's."

This time I shake my head, "Uh no, braids take too long, I don't feel like sitting," I like how they look on me, but the sitting just isn't worth it; I can't do it, especially today. Maybe I'll get them in the summertime.

"Okay, well, straightened it is. We'll go to the nail salon, first, and then I'll come back and straighten it," she states. I don't let anyone straighten my hair but my mother. I only trust her to handle my thick lavish curls.

  "Now get dressed; there is much to be done in such little time,"

...

"What color?" the woman asks.

"Black,"

"No," my mother cuts in, "She'll do white,"

Scrunching my face, I say, "Why?"

"Because you always get black, white is prettier on nails,"

Once she looks away, I roll my eyes. I usually get away with the eye-rolling, but today she's on edge, so I won't push it. "Where is Dad and Grandpa?" They weren't in the house when we left.

"Uh, your father and Grandfather are out picking up their suits,"

"Is dad nervous about Grandpa at the party?"

She smiles and says, "Of course, hopefully, he will be on his best behavior tonight,"

For the sake of me being deathly bored, let's hope not.

The salon's front door opens, and incomes Ashely and her mother. My mother greets them. I just give my usual smile.

"You two getting ready for tonight?" Sharron asks.

My mother replies, "Yes,"

"I'm looking forward to the party," Ashely says.

Why are they coming? They never come. My mother has thrown these parties for as long as I can remember. I don't recall Ashely and her mom ever being there. Or maybe they were.