Chapter 126

There's a knock at my door; when I open my eyes, I have to squint a little because the sun is shining through my room. I forgot to close the curtains last night once Jessica climbed back out the window.

My grandfather enters the room, slowly looking at me, making sure I am not sleep, "Oh good, you're up," he walks farther in and takes a seat on my bed. I scout over, giving him more room. "Are you alright, Jay?"

I nod.

A smile creeps at the corner of his mouth, and he says, "Your parents may be blind to your pain, but I am not,"

I sit up and criss-cross my legs, pushing my hair back from my face. "If you did something unknowingly to another person, and this thing ruined their life, would you tell them?"

He thinks about my question and then replies, "Yes, telling the truth is a loving act. The truth may hurt for a little while, but a lie hurts forever,"

My head slowly nods as I take in what he's saying; he didn't give me a direct answer, "So are you saying you wouldn't tell them?" I ask, ambivalent.

"I'm saying that if you want the friendship or relationship to be based on fake happiness, then don't tell them. If you want to see if the relationship can withstand this lie, then tell them,"

"What if it doesn't, you know, withstand?"

He says with easy eyes, "Then it wasn't meant to be,"

...

I throw my hoodie over top of my head and then rush downstairs to the living room; everyone is sitting around watching TV.

I'm not surprised that it's some cheesy holiday movie. Yet another reason why I hate the holidays.

"Nice of you to join us," my father says once he notices me.

My mother looks over, "There's breakfast on the table,"

"I uh, actually I'm going to meet Jessica," I lie. I really have to go to work. I'll be meeting Jessica later.

"What time will you be back?" she asks.

I shrug my shoulders, "8 maybe,"

"Okay," I start to walk away, and then she adds, "Oh, I invited Caleb to the Christmas party next week,"

"What?" I thought he was flying down to California for Christmas.

"Are you okay with that?"

"You already invited him, so," Again, my parents, well this time just my mother failed to include me in the decision of inviting Caleb to the diner party. "I'll see you guys later," I say; frustrated, I look over to my grandfather and give him a warm smile, "Bye, Grandpa,"

"Have a nice day,"

I turn on my heels and walk out of the house, heading to the diner.

Once arriving, I remove my coat and hang it onto the rack. I go behind the dinner, grab the apron, and then tie it around my waist. I still can't get over the fact that I'm working.

Me Jayda King, a waitress.

A part of me would love to see the looks on my parent's faces when I tell them. This job won't stay hidden for long. Nothing with me ever does.

Caleb called me this morning, right after my grandfather left my room; I sent the call to voicemail; I really don't want to talk to him. I'm scared. My grandfather said that telling the truth is what is best because then I can see if our relationship can stand.

I should be confident in our relationship withholding the force breaking secret, but I'm not. This isn't a small matter; this is huge. I'm the reason his sister is dead. He will never forgive me.