Chapter 181

"So! As you can see, Jessica's suicide had nothing to do with the school; she was a teenage girl with haywire emotions. I'm sure most of us comprehended from the statement I just read that she cut when things got bad; that's typical for teenagers, especially girls,"

How dare he stand here and say that? Ugh, are all men sexist?

"My clients and the school have no part in what happened with the two suicide deaths and the shooting; Jessica Brown committed suicide from emotional problems, it clearly wasn't from bullying at school. There is no proof that AJ Crawford was bullied; if you ask me, his suicide resulted from the lack of care he had at home, his mother was broke. She worked day and night; she had just lost her job, the boy was suffering, so he killed himself,"

"And how do you explain what happened to Robert? Are you going to just say that he woke up and decide to kill people?" He's spent the last two hours cutting up all the clear evidence to shreds; he twisted my words and is bending this whole situation, dialing it down to nothing. But he can't turn the shooting around; that for sure happened, and he can't deny the bullying Robert faced. "I saw Robert get bullied; I was there,"

"Yet you failed to report anything you saw to staff members. Your principal Veronica Moore hired two new counselors at the school so the students could have someone to talk to if bullying was taking place; there

has not been an incident reported from anyone of you," he states. "And from what I heard, you and Ms.Rodriguez were close; if you knew Robert, your friend was getting bullied how come you never said anything to her or anyone,"

He's right; I didn't say anything. I look at the crowd of students, watching me; neither did they.

"Jessica Brown, AJ Crawford, Robert Cade, these students needed therapeutic help, we cannot blame the staff, we cannot blame the board, we cannot blame anyone but the students for not voicing what they need," he says, speaking to the other people in higher positions. "My clients have done everything right," he looks back at me and says, "I have no further question; thank you for your time Jayda,"

"We will meet back here in the hour, with our decision regarding what will happen moving forward," The woman announces. I stand up from the chair and rush past everyone out the school doors.

Ryder POV

I skirt past everyone and follow Jayda; she's pacing back and forth outside, cursing to herself, "It's okay," I try to catch her and stop her from moving back and forth.

"No," she pulls away from me. "Don't say that it's okay; none of this is okay," she shouts.

"I know that I was just-"

"Trying to make me feel better! Well, I don't need you to make me feel better. I need to be angry right now,"

"Fine then," I shrug. "Be angry," I take a seat on one of the steps.

"They're going to get away with it; they're going to get away with everything!"

"You don't know that," She shouldn't jump to conclusions; they haven't made a decision yet.

"I do. Were you not in the same room as me?" she snaps her head at me. I hate when she gets like this. I should stay quiet before I make her even madder. Cause if I do, she'll say something that will cause me to say something rude back, and whatever this is already on eggshells, I don't want to crack what's left.

"I going to take a walk,"

"Do you want me to come with you?"

"No," she turns around and walks away.

An hour later, I stand at the door waiting for her to return; they started back already; where is she? Her mother walks up, "Have you seen her?"

"No," I tell her. She went for a walk; she says okay and then heads back into the cafeteria where the meeting is being held. I decide to go in also; maybe she came the other way. Nope, she still isn't here, and people are retaking their seats.

The lady takes a seat in the middle chair at the table. The room quiets down at her presence. "Before we continue, are there any last thoughts or statements someone would like to relay that helps or defends both parties," She waits about a minute, giving someone the chance to speak up; no one does. "Well, then it-"

"Wait," Jayda says from behind everyone. We all turn our heads, and I watch as she walks down the aisle.

"Ms. King, I think we all heard everything we needed to hear from you,"

"No, you didn't," she says back, in a demanding confident tone, something I'm not used to hearing from her.

"Well then, go ahead," the woman nods her head, gesturing for her to continue.

"AJ Crawford killed himself, and it wasn't because of things at home. His mother loved him; she worked day and night, wanting to provide for her son, and she did. Sarah Crawford asked the principal William Mclain for help, and he turned her away,"

William stands up, "I don't see how this is relevant," he growls. "We already talked about this," I want to beat the shit out of him for interrupting her, but I refrain myself.

"Let her finish, Mr.Mclain!"

She continues, "She went to the police, and they didn't do a thing, so a loving mother like her decision to find a job elsewhere to keep her son safe; she eventually found a good-paying job in a different state and couldn't wait to tell her son, it was going to be a surprise, she left the house telling him she would be back and to have his chores done when she got back home. Little did he know she was going out to get his favorite food, and in about an hour, his life would change for the better. Little did she know that a good day for her and them was going to be destroyed in an hour, and it was. She came to find her son hanging from the ceiling lifeless,"

Everyone shifts in their seats as Jayda describe the vivid image.

"He was bullied at school, and no one helped him; he saw no other way out, other than death. You all believe that Jessica dealt with emotional problems that lead to her suicide and that it wasn't because of the school; that may be true. But as counselors, teachers, and staff that work in the school building, it isn't only their job to guide us and help us academically; they're also there to guide us through one of the most critical ages of our life. The fact that no one saw AJ's pain, Jessica's emotional downfall, or the events that lead to Robert shooting the school means that they failed us,"

The woman keeps her eyes on Jayda; I can't tell if she is just listening or if she's listening and taking in. Mr.Mclain again stands up, "Well, it isn't our faults or the teacher and staff faults that no one spoke up; that is on you and every other student,"

Her fistball at her side, "We shouldn't have to! We should, but we didn't; that is what you all are there for to advocate for us, to handle problems when we have no idea how to handle them ourselves. Just think about it, why would we speak up about bullying if we know nothing will happen or change?"

"Well, those two students didn't have to go off and kill themselves; suicide is selfish; they knew it that's why they didn't say anything,"

She turns more his way, "Suicide is not selfish," She shouts in anger. "Suicide usually is death caused by the illness of depression it is the final symptom, a final collapse under unbearable weight; if you have never been close to the edge, try not to judge what you can't understand,"

Some students and reporters in the audience snicker under their breath at her remark. I have to say I like this new, confident, non-passive Jayda. I find her fearlessness sexy as hell.

Don't forget to VOTE!🖤⚡️