Chapter 144

After the third ring, the phone picks up, "Hello,"

"Hi, is this Rosita?" Jessica asks.

"Yes, who is calling?" The woman has a thick Spanish accent.

"Uhm, my name is Jessica; I was calling because I wanted to uhm talk to you about Jacob Adams,"

"Why?" the woman asks with a hint of concern. Jessica looks over to me; I shrug; I told her not to call her yet. "Look, if this is about the AJ thing, I told you guys I wouldn't say anything,"

"The AJ thing?" Jessica questions.

The phone goes silent, "I can't talk right now, please don't call this number again," the line clicks, hanging up.

I place both of my hands on the bathroom sink. "Well, that helped, none I told you to wait,"

"We couldn't wait much longer; Ms. Moore wants to meet with us soon," She sighs and says, "Did you ask your mom?"

"I haven't seen her,"

Her eyebrow raises, "You haven't seen her?" 

I tell her our schedules are different without going into detail as to how different. My mom has started back her regular work schedule for some reason. She leaves early in the morning, and by the time I get home, she is still gone; I'm usually asleep when she arrives back. Then everything repeats itself, hence why I haven't seen her.

My dad, I have heard around the house, but I haven't seen him. I guess they have gone back to hating me. I don't know why they are still here. They know they want to leave. So why stick around?

"Does she have an office?"

"Yes,"

"Is she home by the time you're back?"

"No,"

Jessica smiles, hinting at something. I ask her what she is getting at.

"We can leave at lunch, go see Rosita at lunch, and then for your free period, you can run home and look in your mother's office for anything connecting to AJ,"

"Uhm," That's actually a good plan; I'm not surprised; she has many. But I'm not comfortable snooping through my mother's things.

She places her hands on both of my shoulders, "Come on, Jayda, you have to! Something in your mom's office could be the thing to connect everything," her eyes light up with excitement. She's definitely more into this detective thing than I am.

If she's suicidal I'm not surprised; she is putting her all into this. I know what it feels like to keep busy to not feel the pain. Keeping busy helps to drown out all the bad things going on around you.

But once that thing is gone, and you have nothing else to distract yourself with... you're left with the empty feeling you tried so hard to suppress in the very beginning.

I say fine, agreeing to look through my mother's office just as the bell rings.

"Great, we will leave at lunch to go see Rosita," she heads towards the door.

I say, "If she wouldn't talk to us on the phone, what makes you think she will talk to us at her house,"

She responds, "People are less likely to turn you away when you are at their front door,"

"You make a point,"

She smiles and says, "I know," before exiting the bathroom.

I take my phone out of my pocket and dial Ryder's number; I haven't talked to him in four days. I called him later that day after he dropped me off, but he didn't answer. I called him the next day and he again didn't answer. He wasn't at school Monday, so I couldn't ask him why he didn't answer my call. He isn't at school today either; I think somethings wrong.