Chapter 19

"B-Because the monsters will get me..."

"Monsters?"

"Y-yes...mommy told me the monsters will get me if I don't go to sleep."

The unknown person sighs. "There are no monsters, Dani. She's just playing around, okay?"

The sound of a loud thud occurs somewhere inside of the house, which is quickly followed by the faint noise of whimpers and groans.

"W-what is that?" I ask with a shaking voice. "I-Is it-"

"Dani, maybe you should go to sleep."

"B-but is mommy okay?"

"Dani..." the person pinches the bridge of their nose while looking as if they were questioning life. "Please...just go to sleep, okay?"

I slowly nod as I slip under the covers. "Sorry..."

"Dani, don't-don't apologize. All you need to do is go to sleep for tomorrow."

"Yes..." I duck my head under the cover and hear the sound of their footsteps heading to the door.

"Goodnight Dani, sleep well."

The door closes and I tremble while I silently sob.

"They're fighting again... I know it," I mumbled before I drifted off to sleep.

~

"This is Miami local news, our latest report is a middle-aged woman by the name of Daniella Hills, who was found dead this morning. It seems her case is being determined at the moment, and her family is currently mourning over their loss. Not only is the family affected, but also the victim's only daughter, Dani Hills. Please give your prayers to them and the child to heal. Back to you Myers."

I remembered sitting on the couch next to my grandma crying. My grandma had a neutral expression as she comforted me. I couldn't figure out why she looked like that, but it must've been serious for her to not cry over her only daughter dying.

That memory is engraved into my mind like her name on her tombstone.

'Daniella Hills'

I was named after her, but fuck - her name reminds me of her more than my own face.

Back then I rarely recognized my own name.

Was it even my own? Who was I really? Am I human?

Did I deserve to be alive?

But as a kid without a mother figure besides your own grandma, and your friends' mothers. It wasn't easy growing up.

"Dani..."

Who is that?

"Dani, can you not frown while reading?"

"Frown? I'm not frowning." I replied.

"Yes, you are..."

My eyes trailed to the book the unknown person was reading 'Pleurer'.

"Cry? What is that book about?"

"You knew what Pleurer meant in English?"

"Yeah, grandma helped me with foreign languages."

"Oh well, 'Pleurer' is about a male explorer that lost everything. His family, his wealth, his pride, and his own soul - all because of his greed that led him to sign away his humanity to the devil. His town made fun of him for it. They called him stupid and foolish. He believed them because he did mess up. He was on the verge of giving up, but through it all - he did not cry once."