Chapter 25

The day of my discharge arrived, I was helped out of bed to the entrance. I was dressed in some jeans and an oversized shirt. Nyree had brought it a few days ago for me and I'm glad she chose this outfit - I like it.

Lexie helped me into the car, even though I said I was fine, and drove me to her house in silence.

When we arrived, I was on my phone texting Nyree that I was with Lexie.

Nyree: Make sure you don't forget to thank her family.

Me: Yes Nyree, I will not forget.

Nyree: I mean it, Dani.

Me: I will not forget, I promise.

Nyree: Thank you and don't overthink your grandma's health.

Me: Who said I was?

Nyree: I'm just saying since she's the only family aside from your father that you lived with. Don't overthink it.

Me: I won't.

Lexie taps my shoulder. "We're here."

"Okay," I said as I tucked my phone away in my jean pocket.

We got out of the car and Lexie helped me with my things. We walked to her front door and were greeted by her parents.

"Dani! How have you been?" Lexie's mom, Frances, welcomed me with a tight hug.

Lexie's father, Ben, was smiling at us too. "How long has it been since we last saw you? It's been too long, right?"

I nod. "Y-yes, sir."

Frances lets me go and feels my hair. "Your hair grew so long, have you ever trimmed it?"

"Yes, I let my grandma's nurse trim it when she can. She always does my hair when she has time."

"I think it's time for another trim," Frances says. "Is it okay if I trim it?"

I nod. "Yes, it's fine."

"Great, let's get started right away before Lexie pulls you into her room."

Lexie closes the door behind us and sighs. "I'll be on the couch waiting then."

I was sat on a chair and Frances didn't waste time trimming my hair.

"So Dani, how's your grandma these days? Still helping you study?"

"Yes," I said.

"Are you passing your classes?"

"Yes ma'am, I have an 'A' average in my classes."

"Do you know what your GPA is?"

Ben playfully elbows Frances. "Honey, that's personal to ask."

"It's fine," I said with a giggle. "I have a four-point eight GPA."

"You hear that, Lexie!" Frances shouts to Lexie, who's on the couch with her face turned away from us. "Dani is going into a good college!"

Lexie shrugs. "Okay."

Ben sighs, "Sorry for her attitude Dani, she's just upset that she has to retake her math exam. She didn't get a high enough grade to count as a passing grade."

"It's okay sir, I'm used to it," I said.

"And done!" Frances looks at my hair in awe. "Now that looks better."

I looked at my hair. "Thank you, I like it."

"No problem."

I stood up out of the chair and walked to where Lexie was. She was still upset and held her phone in her hand with a tight grip. "You know I can help you study, Lexie."