Chapter 15

"You what?" My grandma shouted. "When did this happen, Dani?"

"A few days ago," I replied in a debilitated, dejected tone.

"Why did you decide to go to court for them? Explain it to me so I can understand this foolishness."

"Melanin and Lexie are rape victims of these two guys, but neither told each other that they were. They didn't tell me either, but I found out when I eavesdropped on their conversation with the Principal. Melanin got pregnant by Lexie's boyfriend, who was her rapist and lost the baby a few days after. I decided to go to court for them to help put those jerks behind bars. I know they could've done it on their own, but I wanted to do it. I know it was stupid, but dad helped me and supported me through it all."

"Your father was there too?"

"Yes ma'am."

"I thought you hated him."

"I want to try to mend the relationship between us, I want us to try to be father and daughter again, not boss and worker."

My grandma sighed. I knew she didn't like my father - he did some bad things-but hearing that I want to mend our relationship. I took a wild guess that she would support me on this.

"I won't stop you Dani, but remember I'm still here, and if anything were to go wrong. Come straight to me, understand?"

"Yes."

"And about your friends, Melanin and Lexie." she stands up out of her chair "I'll let this situation slide for now, but if I hear that you did something reckless like this again. I'm turning on your location again."

"Yes ma'am."

My grandma walks away to her room and once I heard her door close. I took a deep breath.

Goddamit Dani. That could've gone worse than you pictured in your mind. Stop freaking out. But she's right, doing that for my friends was reckless, I know that but at the same time - I wanted them to get along again so badly. I had to do it.

"I wonder if I can go see Lauren." I mused.

I haven't gone to her house in a while, and I remembered how to get there too. Grandma did say I could see her if my grades don't drop, so it should be okay to do it.

I got up out of my chair, went to my room to grab my spare keys, slipped on my jacket, and grabbed my phone that I hid earlier. I checked it to see Lauren's message. She asked about my studies and grandma. I responded to her text and asked if I could come over.

She messaged back with a 'yes' and I went to my grandma's door to knock on it.

"Grandma, is it okay if I go to Lauren's house?"

I could hear shuffling and movement before she said; "Yes, Dani, just don't be gone all day, and take my car to get there. Do you know where I put my keys?"

"Yes ma'am."

"Alright, see you later then."

"Bye Grandma."

I quickly dashed from her door to grab her car keys and headed out the door to go to Lauren's house.

The drive there was a bit long due to busy traffic, but I made it. I was welcomed by her mom and dad, and I went to her room to see her painting. She held the brush in her hand as she did careful strokes on the canvas. I walked up behind her and bent down to kiss her cheek.

"You look beautiful," I said.

"You still love my natural look?" She asked without taking her eyes off the painting.