Chapter 47

I interlaced my fingers together on the restaurant table, avoiding letting my elbows touch it to seem improper like I was trained years ago - though I occasionally purposely placed them onto the table to piss off anyone I didn't like.

I took over my mother's company years ago, but I never stated in the interviews that I was going to allow myself to contain a formal or professional demeanor at all times. I might be in the city of romance or whatever, but I won't let the change of career remove my original personality to fit in. I'll act professionally when it is necessary, but when it comes down to less important matters - my true colors are revealed.

Everyone has already seen them unravel over the years, it's no surprise that I'm not like my mother, but they partially wished I acted somewhat like her - put together and under control. I guess that's how they put it.

I brush off their attempt to do constructive criticism on my personality, but when it comes down to my looks - I barely have an off button to shut me up.

There are no bad comments about my looks, but I do tend to get irritated when they pursue their interest in me a little too much. Like now.

"Dani-" I interrupt them as politely as I can.

"It's Miss Hills." I altered, squeezing my fingers together without being adjudged as annoyed - which I am.

"Miss Hills," they corrected themselves. "This will bring a tremendous look on your company if you partnered with us-"

"I rather decline."

Their eyes flickered from my lips to my eyes again. This is the tenth time since I arrived that they've done that. "You won't regret it, Da-Miss Hills."

"I appreciate your offer, I really do, but I'm already juggling with other amends to the company so I have to decline. I apologize."

No, I don't. If you admire my face again, I might rethink my reputation.

"I understand." They sighed, collecting their papers and files. "I'll pay for this meal, thank you for accepting this meeting anyway."

"It was a pleasure meeting you." I lied behind my teeth while standing out of my chair to firmly shake their hand.

Years ago, I made the mistake of letting my anger slip through handshakes, but now I transfer the urge to clasp their hand to my fist that I hide behind my back.

I can wear a stoic expression all I want, but once my heels click-clack into my office - I'm screaming into my pillow until I have to answer calls or emails.

I am now twenty-four years old, living in a huge mansion by myself, and haven't visited Miami at all since I boarded the plane when I was nineteen. I still miss everyone, I still miss Lauren - more than I should, but I keep pushing forward.

Lauren and I kept a long-distance relationship for years - at first, it was hard to manage due to our overwhelming schedules that irrupted our long calls during the days.

We tried to see each other, but it never worked out in the end.

She did come to Paris once for a photoshoot, but back then - I couldn't leave the office until I completed my work. Which ended up taking up all my time and attention, causing our plan to meet to backfire.

Lauren still lives with her parents and ended up applying for Beach University before her official busy schedule entered her life - which she got accepted from.

She only did the classes online due to her safety and as a precaution from harm.

Her parents struggled to give her time to balance both things she wanted to do, and not only did she graduate without any issues - she decided to use her degree in Illustration to become a professional artist.