Chapter 12

"Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself"-Coco Daniel

I swallowed my hatred towards my own biological father to ask him to join me in court. He was surprised that I finally asked him for something, and broke down crying in front of me. He agreed saying he won't let me down.

A small part of me felt guilty for hating him for a past mistake. That mistake was a huge issue in my life, and I got picked on for it. But I looked him in the eyes to see the father I yearned to have in my life. For the first time in years, I contemplated my choice to forgive him or to continue to hate him.

Which I couldn't do without the help of my grandma, who is about to be discharged from the hospital in a few days.

The court date was in two days, and I gathered as much evidence and information that I could receive. I recorded both of my best friend's statements since they didn't want to go to court. Melanin gave me her hospital documents about her medical records, insemination, and miscarriage. Lexie gave her hospital documents too, but to my surprise - Lexie spent one month at a mental hospital, three years for depression. I wanted to ask her why, but her eyes - when she was handing me the document-read 'don't ask'. So I didn't.

I visited Lauren the day before my court date and spent the day with her to comfort her. She felt guilty for not telling me about Melanin's main problem - the restraining order. I reassured her that it's okay and that I promise I'm not mad, and we can go on a date once the hearing is finished.

The day for the hearing came, and I swallowed my anxiety to gain enough confidence to go through with it.

My father - for the first time in years - hugged me tight and gave me comfort. I accepted his gentle embrace and took a deep breath before walking into the courthouse.

The two criminals responsible for my best friend's beef stood a few feet away from me. My anger boiled inside of me, but I kept my anger management under control and spoke formally to the judge.

The final verdict for the two men was Guilty. They committed a Class B felony, but one of them -the one that threatened Lexie - is serving more years for a repeated crime.

I walked out of the courthouse feeling relieved that I finally did something helpful. The judge told me that he'll have to talk to both of them personally soon, but confirmed the two men will get arrested and will be behind bars.

I called up both of them to tell them the news. They cried and thanked me for doing something so risky and reckless. I looked at my father with a sad expression seeing his true emotions for the first time. He was truly sorry for what he did.

I told him that day. "I'll think about forgiving you. I want to think this over. I want us to try to mend this father and daughter relationship."

He nodded and replied in a raspy voice as if he was crying. "Thank you."

School ended. I walked out of the school building to go home and saw Melanin and Lexie talking. They were smiling and laughing as they used to do. I smiled seeing the sight. They finally mended their own friendship again. I hope they don't mess it up again because I feel like the next time something happens. They'll be doomed to a permanent loss of a friendship

Lauren and I decided to go on a date to a fast-food restaurant. It was a warm day, a bit chilly, and we held each other's hand there.

We ordered and ate together at a booth.

We talked about numerous topics; from our first interaction to our first intercourse.

It's like we were libidinous teenagers with no limit. We joked about it and finished our meal.

We walked around the nearby park, still holding hands, and spoke in a low calming tone. Our love felt special to me and I never wanted it to end. She's so perfect for me that I can't stop falling for her deeper.

"I love you, Lauren," I said with a smile.

She smiles back. "I love you too, Dani."

We ended the date by going to my house to see my grandma's nurse there. We exchanged a few words before Lauren and I relaxed in my bedroom, we cuddled up under the covers and drifted off to sleep.

A few days passed, my grandma came back home with an annoyed expression.

"They think I couldn't handle a little heart attack. They humor me," she said. "Dani, did you do your chores while I was away for so long?"

I nodded, "Yes ma'am."

She side-eyed me. "How about your studying?"

I swallowed. Of course, I didn't study.

"Yes ma'am, I studied, I scored a ninety-nine percent on my test."

"Why not a full one hundred?"

"I didn't understand the prompt they gave to us."

She made a 'hmm' sound and looked at her nurse. "Did she bring anyone over?"

Nyree wore a neutral expression on her face. "Yes ma'am. A study buddy for one of her group projects."

"She lied for me?" I thought. "Why did she lie for me?"

"Dani?" my grandma glared at me.

I felt a chill go down my spine. "It's true."

"I can't tell her I spent my days not studying, but instead going on dates and going to court." I thought. "She'll think of it as an excuse, but then again she'll want the full story. Which is their personal business."

"Alright, I believe you, but I better see you opening those textbooks by the time I finish gardening."

My grandma left to fetch her gardening tools and Nyree sighed in relief silently. She looked as if she was holding her breath.

"Thank you," I whispered.

She looked at me with a worried expression. "I don't know what you're doing but I hope it's finished."

"It is."

"You need to tell her soon. I did this to not see you banned from seeing her."

Her, as in Lauren, who is my girlfriend.

My grandma knows about my newfound sexuality, but for her to found out about my rebellious days is scarier than a homophobic parent finding out their kid is gay. She'll go full-on strict guardian mode and make sure I won't do it again.

I went inside of my room to put my textbooks onto my desk and saw a notification from Lauren. I checked for any sound of movement before I replied to her message. I tucked my phone into my desk before sitting down at my desk to study.

My grandma peeked her head in to check on me, before going outside to tend to her garden.

I groaned, "Nyree's right. I might need to tell her before her wrath gets worse than it is."

I was eating breakfast with Lauren when Melanin and Lexie came up to us. They wore a smile on their faces and held up four tickets. Two in Lexie's hand and two in Melanin's hand.

I shook my head. "Hell no, my grandma will kill me."

"She's back already? Damn, then sneak out or lie to her." Melanin said. "Come on, it'll be fun."

"I'd rather keep my ass intact thank you."

"Dani, if you don't accept these damned tickets, and come to the concert hand in hand with your girlfriend. I'm going to let you feel my fury." Melanin said with a menacing glare.

I made a 'tsk' sound and accepted the tickets. "Think of this as a thank you for saving your asses, now if you excuse me I'm trying to eat."

They giggled, Lexie smirked, "Awe, she wants to be alone with her baby, I'm sorry we'll give you some alone time."

They walked away before I said something.

I shook my head. "God."

Lauren giggled, "I think they're funny."

The corner of my lips curled up into a small grin from seeing her giggle like that. It was cute. "Yeah, they are."