Chapter 8

"Dani! Where are you?" I could hear my name being called from the front door entrance.

I was only half an inch away from Lauren's face before I straightened up to walk out of the room. "In my room. I'm with a friend from school."

One of my grandma's nurses, Nyree, is a college student working to become a full-time nurse. She's been my grandma's nurse for three years. She looks at my grandma as her grandma too. She knows more about my personal life than the other nurses. The only thing she doesn't know is what goes on at school. The threats, the bullying, the name-calling. She's in the blind with that part of my life.

"A friend? I see you're being acquainted with more friends. Where are the other two? I forgot their names."

"They're busy. I couldn't reach them." I lied.

"Oh really? Hopefully, you'll see them at school then. But I came by to hand you your weekly check from your father."

She also picks up my check whenever I forget to.

"You haven't worked in three days. Are you quitting?"

"No...I told him I need two weeks off work. My school is having an exam soon, so I can't work as hard." I say as I take the check from her. 2000 dollars as usual. I earned enough for college and living on my own. But going to college is being decided on. I have no major I'm interested in. At all.

"You need to return to work as soon as possible he said. There are people taking double shifts because of you."

"Not my issue. He can hire an extra person. He has the money."

"If it was that easy." She mumbles before looking behind me. "What's your name?"

"Lauren," she replies in a tone that sounded like she was upset.

Damn, Lauren don't sound like that. I feel like I'm leading you on even more. Or I feel like I almost lead myself on just as much. Almost kissing you and thinking of you. I know this is feelings but fuck. Can I find out my sexuality already? I want to do things to you I never imagined. Like kissing, hugging, sexing, teasing. Everything. My whole mind is wrapped around you. That perfect waist. Perfect body. Perfect lips. Hell even her hair is looking sexier. I want to pull it as I do shit to her. Fuck. I can't be thinking like this in front of Nyree.

"Dani, did you hear me?"

"Huh?" I answered, shrugging off the thought.

"I asked you what you two were doing in there earlier."

"She came by to get her earphones."

"Oh? Really?"

"Yeah." I turn to see Lauren's face in a sad state.

"Why does she look like that then?"

I look down. "A small disagreement."

She messes up my hair causing the pinless bun to fall down. My long hair was now flowing down my back. "Don't lose her. I like her. Got it?"

I nod. "Yes."

She looks at Lauren. "Dani has been in situations where she lost people due to her family life. She doesn't say what she feels a lot. If you could try to loosen her up to make her softer. That'll be great. And that's coming from someone who sees her cry cause she can't run to anyone."

Lauren nods. "I'll try."

"Thank you." She looks at me. "I have to go back to class. Mrs. Hills will be in the hospital for two weeks, so try not to eat too many sweets."