Chapter 27

We walked back to Lexie's house. Our stomachs were full and our mood was lifted.

Well, until I said;

"Hey Lexie, did you know I had an adopted sibling?"

Lexie's pace slowed down and her expression changed. "What do you mean?"

"I received a letter from someone claiming to be my sister and says we'll meet again soon."

Lexie hesitated to answer. I don't know why but it felt like she didn't want to answer my question. "Um, really? Wow, that's nice."

"Lexie, is something wrong?"

"No, not really?"

I side-eye Lexie and shrugged. "Okay, and also I had a therapist come visit me in the hospital. I have to go see her soon."

"Do you like having a therapist?"

"No, she asks too many questions."

"That's what a therapist does Dani, what do you expect her to do? Sleep?"

"That would've been better."

"Dani-"

"Uh uh, she was too into my personal life."

Lexie sighs. "Just endure it for now."

"As if I have a say in this."

"You really don't."

We made it back to her room safely and crawled underneath the covers. Her parents didn't wake up - to our luck - and stayed inside of their room while we were gone.

"See, I told you it would be worth it."

"That's because we had luck on our side."

"Sure, just be glad we ate some delicious tacos."

"Mhm," I said as I buried my face under the covers.

"Dani?"

"Hmm?"

"Thank you for being my friend and sticking around."

I peek my head out from underneath the covers. "I should be the one thanking you."

"Mm, without each other, we wouldn't be strong."

"Correction, without Melanin to boss us around, we wouldn't be strong."

"You're right."

We laugh while trying to keep our voices down.

Eventually, we drifted off to sleep.

If I was honest with her, I would tell her that the reason life is unfair is because we're not meant to have fairness.

And to me - that's what sucks the most.

~

Nyree stood at the front door waiting for me holding her bag in her hand. "Thank you again for letting Dani stay here."

Frances smiles at Nyree. "It's really no trouble at all, I was happy to have her over after all this time."

"If there is some way to repay you," Nyree said.

"No need, I just hope she'll return again."

"If she wants to." Nyree waves. "Bye, everyone."

I wave. "Bye Lexie and Lexie's parents."

Ben waves. "Bye now, come again when you can."

I nod. "I will, bye!"

When Nyree and I made it to her car, she cranked her car alive and leaned back into her seat.

"Fuck!" she exhaled with a slight aggravation in her tone.

"Are you okay, Nyree?" I ask worriedly.

Nyree shook her head. "No, I have to study for this fucking exam that's going to be handed to me when I go back."

I groan. "You reminded me that I have a quiz in my science class I need to study for."

Nyree put her hands on the wheel. "For someone who studied in the hospital, I think you'll pass just fine."

"Not when my grandma has high expectations of me."

"Your grandma is strict, yes, but not an overbearing person. She'll understand if you need one day to recover from the hospital."

"I hope so," I mumbled as I turned to look out the window.

The ride to Nyree's home was in silence, I didn't want to talk when I was still thinking about things - Lauren, school, Lexie's newfound crush on Melanin, my memories. Just a lot in general.

Is this what growing up means?

If it does, I hate it - so much work to go through to live a normal life.

When we parked in front of her house, I grabbed my stuff and let her lead me to the guest room.

Nyree leaned against the door frame when I walked in and sat down on the made bed. "Okay, let's go over some rules while you're here."

I groan. "Really?"

"This isn't a vacation, Dani," Nyree said.

"I know."

"First rule, no sneaking out at night, and I mean it."

I nod.

"Next rule, tell me if you're going to bring someone over, including Miss Lauren."

"Yes ma'am."

"Also, if you are going to cook, do not burn my goddamn home down. I am still paying the mortgage for it."

"I won't."

"I'm bringing your grandma's car here for you to drive to school, so that brings us to our next rule. Don't drive off anywhere but school. Got it?"

"Yes."

"If you are going to use it except for that use, ask me, and if I'm not home or answering my phone. Leave a note or text me to let me know you are using it. I don't need to call the police for a missing teenager."

"I will."

Nyree sighs. "Last one, just because I'm letting you take a day off from studying doesn't mean fool around. Get some rest, eat, lay around, do whatever. But nothing I need to clean up after you for."

"I'll be good."

"I know I'm acting a bit strict, but it's for your own good. I want you to watch yourself without me having to stress over any problems other than work."

"I won't cause you any problems, Nyree."

"Good." Nyree gave me a sleepy grin. "You should wash your hands. I cooked some food for you to eat. I'll be heading to bed."

"Okay."

Nyree was about to leave the room when she looked back at me to say; "Don't overthink about your grandma, she's going to be fine."

"I won't. I believe in her."

"Okay...I'll be in my room sleeping if you need me."

"Okay Nyree, thank you."

Nyree nods and leaves for her room.

I got up, washed my hands in the bathroom across the hall, and went to fix myself a plate.

I ate my food and tried not to doubt Lexie's feelings for Melanin. But it was hard not to doubt a little bit. She had fought her not too long ago and is suddenly saying she loves her.

I don't want to say that she's mixing up platonic with romantic, but the way she reacted to her own words - it seemed like her feelings were romantic.

"I just hope she waits a couple of months," I mumbled. "Just so Melanin can heal herself mentally and physically."