Chapter 21

"By a cliff?" The therapist asked with a confused expression written on her face.

"Yeah...a cliff."

"What was she doing by a cliff?"

"She was planning to...um...jump."

"Really?"

"I heard from my dad that she looked like she was thinking by the cliff, but she never moved from the edge for a while. She just stood there looking down as if she was regretting her decision to jump."

"Did he help her?"

"Not really. He kind of...scared her."

"What do you mean by he scared her?"

"He went to the cliff for a group activity as a vacation. Bungee jumping I think. But she didn't see the thing tied around his waist, and when he pretended to jump. She freaked out. My dad said when he came back up she looked like she saw a ghost. It amused him."

"He sounds like a sadist."

"He does sound like one."

"But how did they connect after that? I mean in my opinion, I would be upset at him for scaring me."

"She was upset at first, but his charms swooned her over somehow. I don't remember much else after that encounter between them. They didn't tell me much."

"Guessing some of the story wasn't meant for a child's ears."

"I guess not."

"There's something that's not fitting right with me, is it alright if I ask you?"

"Um, sure go ahead."

"On your mother's records, it shows she birthed you in this hospital in the delivery room. It would seem natural for that not to be overlooked, but mothers usually take pictures of their infants. I can't seem to find your picture."

"...What?"

"Does your grandmother have it? or does your father have it?"

"I've never seen my infant photo before. I assumed it got lost in my move to my grandmother's."

"You never once got suspicious when your baby picture wasn't in the photo book?"

I grew uncomfortable at the therapist's persistent questions. My baby pictures? Is she trying to say my mother wasn't my real mother? That's absurd.

"To answer your question, no I didn't get suspicious, because I know I have baby pictures. They're just somewhere. Now can we move on from this topic?"

"Of course." the therapist wrote something down before asking. "Let's talk about school."

"What about it?"

"You attend one of the most highly ranked high schools in America. Is your studies hard?"

"No, I can understand the material mostly."

"Okay..." she wrote something down. "Any bullies?"

"I-" I bit my tongue when I was about to tell her about my two incidents. I can't drag Lauren into my mess. I just can't. "Yes, people make fun of the way my mother died and make fun of me for not accepting my father. Well, when I didn't accept him."

"That means you accept him now?"

"We're building trust again. It's getting better."

"That's good." she eyes the stack of papers next to her that she brought in. She looked like she wanted to ask something, but held herself back from doing so.

I noticed and asked first. "Is there something else you want to ask me? As long as it's not about my baby pictures."

"Uh..." she was hesitant to ask her question.

"What is it?"

"Um...are you an only child?"

"What a weird question to ask, but yes I am an only child."

"Are you sure?"

"If I wasn't, I would've known about the other child."

"Was there ever a time your parents looked like they were trying to hide something from you?"

I felt a sting in my heart as if I knew what she was talking about. I instinctively clutched my cover while answering. "N-no, they've never did."

What was going on? I'm sure that they didn't look like they were hiding something from me. They always told me everything. From personal issues to how my mom gave birth to me.

Or is it that I can't remember that memory as well?

I feel like I've forgotten something. Something important.

Like how I forgot Lauren-which brought back almost all of my memories again.

I should be relieved and glad that my life is getting back on track. I have my memories back and I understand some things better now.

But why does it feel like there's a piece to this difficult puzzle missing?

Something about her 'only child' question makes me feel anxious.

Am I the only child my mother gave birth to?

There's something oddly familiar about this feeling in my heart.

Being protected by someone close to me.

Why can't I remember?

The therapist checks her watch. "It looks like my time here is up. I'll return tomorrow around this time." She looks around before sliding an envelope under my cover. "Don't ask." That was all she said before walking out with her belongings.

I was confused. Why did she give me this?

I looked around for anyone and opened it from under my cover. It read;

Dear Dani,

I hope you remember me. I personally requested that lady to hand you this letter on my behalf. Our life before mother died was honestly tragic. You refusing to leave your room but never wanted to fall asleep because of the 'monsters'. I remember it so clearly.

I also remember one specific detail-the reason for your amnesia. It was merely an accident on your part, to be honest. You heard someone screaming, you must've panicked, and fell out from the roof. I don't know how you climbed out your window, but you did.

If you're wondering who I am, don't worry, I'm not that important. I may not be blood-related to you, but we are still family, my sweet sister.

Our reunion will be soon. Call it a miracle if you will. My schedule is packed, but I decided to clear my day to spend time with you after all these years. I'll tell you why I was absent from your life, and why I am your sister.

Before I end this heartfelt letter, I have a small secret to tell you. It's about mother's past. If you heard anything about her, consider it a half-truth. She's an important figure in society. That's why everyone speaks of her name like a celebrity. I can't say in this letter, but I can say that you're next in line for the job.

Imagine-ever wonder why father tried so hard to mend ties with you? It's because he knows he's going to lose you, and it's going to happen once poor grandma dies. Oh right, your grandma knows the truth. I'll tell you more when I arrive.

Sincerely,

Your beloved older sister