That's What Friends Are For

"This is such great news, Mr. President. And it couldn't have come at a better time! Now, you're sure to be re-elected!" Jerome, the President's aide, said enthusiastically.

The President sighed. "I don't know about that."

"Hu?" Jerome looked confused.

"I wasn't the real hero here." The president pointed to the paper in Jerome's hand. "Look closer."

Jerome did, and saw the pictures of Sonic and Silver. His eyes widened. "SONIC AND SILVER!!!!" He grabbed the TV remote and turned on the news. To his annoyance, the speedy hedgehogs were all over the place on the news. Completely panicked, Jerome clutched his head and screamed.

"If we don't act fast, Mr. President, they'll elect Sonic president and Silver the vice president!"

"Hu." the President said. "I'll have to find myself a real job."

Jerome hurried over and placed his hands on the desk, facing the President. "Then we'll have to do something right away!!"

"Now, now, let's not overreact about this, let's stay calm." the President said, putting a hand up to calm the intense Jerome.

Jerome began to pace back and forth in front of the President, frowning. "Think, think, there must be something we must do!" He frowned. He stopped. "That's it! I know!" He smiled brightly.

"Hmm?" The President asked, curious.

"It's a brilliant idea!" Jerome cried. "We'll host a black-tie charity ball in celebration of our recent victory!"

"Yes, but what does a victory celebration have to do to solve our Sonic and Silver problem?" The President asked.

"We'll make Sonic and Silver our guest of honor!" Jerome said. "We'll invite the media, get in a couple of photo-ops, that kind of thing! It will be in all the papers, all over the cable news talk shows. The President, Sonic, and Silver! The dynamic duo battling together against the forces of oppression. Once the voters see that you, Sonic, and Silver are buddies, your approval thing will go right to the roof! Your re-election will be a sure thing. I'll even have the staff get started! We'll make sure all the television reporters get personal invitations to the free buffet tent!"

Excited about the event, Jerome hurried out, leaving the President confused on what just happened.

Sonic started his morning as usual with a run. He ran out too fast and clearly missed Penny calling out for him and holding a letter in her hands.

"HEY, SONIC SILVER, A LETTER CAME FOR YOU!" Penny called.

He zoomed over the fence, ignoring Penny. Hu. This was the first time Sonic ignored her! There's always a reason, right?

Penny curiously decided to read a bit more on the cover of the letter.

Silver appeared by the girl's side. "A letter?" The whitish-grey hedgehog asked. He looked at her curiously as she exclaimed, "It's from the President!"

Silver looked surprised.

.................................................................................................

Later, they all sat around Grandpa Chuck as he read Sonic and Silver's personal invitation. Chris and Penny watched with shining eyes. Because it's not every day that you get a letter from the President, hu? Penny wonder why Sonic rejected it.

"You are cordially invited to a black-tie charity ball." Chuck read. "Hmm. Sounds interesting!"

"That sounds amazing!" Blaze smiled, eyes shining.