Skirmish in the Sky

"Hey, Sonic, Penny and I got you a cell phone!" Chris smiled down at the blue hedgehog. He held the cell phone out to him. "This is gonna make things a lot easier."

"Oh, really?" Sonic asked, taking the cell phone from Chris.

"Yeah, don't you see?" Chris smiled as he continued. "Now we'll be able to reach each other right away, even when you're out on a run!"

"Yeah!" Penny smiled at Sonic. "We can talk anywhere now. No sweat!"

Sonic grunted a little, studying the phone that he held by the antenna.

"Now, make sure you leave it on!" Penny winked at Sonic.

"Hey, Chris, Penny, it's time to go!" Tails called out to them.

"hu?" Sonic looked up.

"We've been waiting for you." Amy said, crossing her arms as she and Tails walked up to them.

"Oops, I forgot." Chris said in embarrassment.

"Where are you guys going?" Sonic asked.

Amy smiled. "Now that we can go out in public, we're heading to Station Square to go shopping. We've spent weeks hunting for Chaos Emeralds, but now it's time to do some bargain hunting. So I'm gonna shop until I drop. There's no point waiting for you to take me, because I don't even know where you are most of the time." She gasped a little as she saw the cell phone in Sonic's hand.

"Oh! Now we can stay connected all the time!" She smiled, dashing over to Sonic with her eyes glinting.

"No thanks." Sonic smirked. He tossed the phone to Amy and dashed out.

"WAIT, SONIC!" Chris called.

"What about your cell phone?!" Penny added, reaching to the spot where he'd left.

Sonic smirked at them, and dashed back. "Leave a message for me." Sonic smirked as he left.

"I guess he just wants to be alone." Silver said, walking in.

"BUT WHY WON'T HE BE ALONE WITH ME?!" Amy cried.

Penny slapped her head in annoyance.

On the way to the mall, Chris sat next to Ella in the front, while Penny sat with Silver, Tails, Cream, Cheese, and Amy in the backseat. Cloud said he'd join them later in the day, so it was just them. Chris was still confused on why Sonic didn't take the cell phone along with him.

"I don't get it." Chris said to Ella. "Why didn't Sonic want to take his cell phone?"

"Unfortunately, Sonic's the type of guy who needs lots of privacy." Amy said.

Penny looked at Amy teasingly. "And I thought you wanted Sonic to be alone with you?"

"Penny! Shut up!" Amy snarled at the girl. "That-that was just me being crazy!"

"Yeah, crazy about Sonic." Penny said, her feelings about Amy loving Sonic starting to escape from her.

"Ok, ok, Penny, and Amy, break up, please." Silver said, moving in front of Penny and Amy.

"But, what if there's an emergency?" Chris asked. "Without a phone, there won't be a way to reach him!"

"Don't worry, Chris!" Silver smiled. "No matter where Sonic is, he has a way of showing up when he has too!"

"Are you sure?" Chris asked.

The mobians who were with them smiled. "You can count on it!"

Soon, they made it to Station Square Mall, and they all went on their separate ways. Silver and Penny were in the book store, checking out the comics and the novels.