Defective Detectives

After the battle on Space Colony Ark, life had gone back to normal.

Well, not exactly.

Froggy croaked joyfully around Big as Big relaxed on the grass, his eyes closed as he listened to his frog croak.

"Hey, Froggy," Big said. "It sure is a nice day!" He smiled.

Froggy croaked in response.

Big opened his eyes to see a huge circle of light expanding in the sky.

"That's pretty!" Big said in excitement.

Froggy croaked in response.

.............................

"There have been five confirmed reports so far, Mr. President." Cristina said. "It seems that most of the buildings had landed in parts of the city, closest to Mr. Gruen."

"And what about all the creatures they found inside?" The President asked.

"The bird-like ones are known as flikies, sir."

"And I'm assuming they all come from the same world as Sonic, right, Professor Thorndyke?"

"Yup." Chuck answered. "It would appear that way."

Chuck, Chris, and Penny were all seated next to each other on a couch in front of the President, discussing matters of the mysterious creatures and what was going to happen to them. Penny nervously looked down at Shadow's bracelet, still wrapped securely around her wrist. She started to lightly trace the edge of it.

"I see." The President said. "Now then, I'm sure you must be wondering why I asked you and your grandchildren here this afternoon."

"You're worried about the arrival of these creatures." Chuck said. "And you're thinking you need to separate them from humans." His gaze turned to Penny and Chris."You're concerned that there'll be trouble between two such different species unless they're....dealt with."

"We wish we didn't have to." Cristina said, closing her eyes. "It's just..."

"Don't apologize." Chuck said with a warm smile. "We understand your situation completely."

Chris and Penny said nothing.

......................................

"Have you heard?" Rouge asked Knuckles as they stood on a roof together, looking into the city. "A couple of more friends from back home dropped in." She smiled. "Seems like everyday is like a regular reunion around here. Course, if too many of us start to show up, the humans aren't gonna like it. They'll probably decide we're dangerous and round us all up. Imagine. Us. Together." She smirked as she walked up to Knuckles's side. "24/7." She turned to him. "My, I'd wonder what that'd be like, don't you?"

Knuckles flushed deep red on the cheeks.

"GET THIS STRAIGHT!" He yelled, shaking his fists at her. "I'D RATHER LIVE IN SOLITARY CONFINEMENT THAN WITH YOU!!"

"Don't get so excited, sweetie." Rouge said. "I'm only saying that the authorities won't like our kind around. Believe me, I don't like the idea of being locked up any more than you do."

Knuckles humphed, crossing his arms, and forcing his gaze to stay straight ahead.

"I should've realized that the welcome mat wouldn't be out forever." Rouge said.

"Yeah." Knuckles said in agreement. "Too good to be true. One day they love us because we're unique, and the next day we're in jail because we're different." He growled. "Well, they won't be taking ME without a fight!"