Emerald Anniversary

Topaz and Rouge were relaxing outside together. Rouge had her eyes on a nearby jewelry store. "What a fabulous display." She smiled. "I wish I had a rock collection like that."

"You're a thief." Topaz pointed out after a sip of coffee.

"I haven't stolen them yet, Topaz," Rouge turned to her friend.

"So, then," Topaz took another sip of her coffee. "You're planning a robbery, aren't you?" She looked out into the crowd and yelled, "Excuse me, could someone get the police and tell them there's a thief hiding back here." The crowd turned around with a gasp. Rouge shrieked and dashed up the tree. When she finally came down again, Rouge gave Topaz a knowing smirk. "I know why you're so passive-aggressive towards me." She smirked. "You're jealous because I'm the glamorous team member."

"If you think I'm the least bit jealous of you, then you really are bats." She looked ahead and gaped in surprise. "Hu?" She asked curiously. A big black car had stopped in front of the jewelry store, and a man came out, after a few other men dressed in black of course.

"That's Nelson Thorndyke." A bystander whispered.

"The computer mogul?" Another one asked.

Rouge and Topaz just watched in shock as he entered the jewelry store.

                                            💎💎💎💎💎💎💎

"Good morning!" the shop owners greeted Mr. Thorndyke.

"Hello, thank you for visiting our store, Mr. Thorndyke." The male shopkeeper said in greeting. "Is there anything we can help you find today?"

"Yes, I'm shopping for an anniversary present for my wife."

"You've come to the right place, sir!" The shopkeeper said.

Mr. Thorndyke moved his gaze around until he saw a white cloth covering something. "What's under there?" He asked.

"You have quite the taste, sir." The male shopkeeper said. "The item was required recently and is one of a kind." When the shopkeeper took off the cloth, it showed an emerald which was the color of pink, and it was shining so brightly that Mr. Thorndyke had to cover his eyes from the brightness of it. Outside the window, the crowd gasped in surprise. But no one was as surprised as Rouge the Bat.

"It's a perfect gift, that's it!" Mr. Thorndyke smiled. "Lindsey is simply wild about jewelry. How long will it take to have the ring ready?"

"But isn't that gem a bit tad large for a ring?" The shopkeeper pointed out.

"My wife defiantly likes flashy jewelry." Mr. Thorndyke insisted. He pointed his pointer finger to the ceiling. "It's our wedding anniversary! And I want to get something special!" He smiled as he crossed his arms. "I can't wait to see Lindsey's face when I slip it on her finger." He smiled. "Her birthday is coming up, I'll tell you what. Give me a couple of diamonds too." He added.

"Uh...sure." The shopkeeper said, sweating a little.

Once Mr. Thorndyke made his purchase, the shopkeepers smiled and said in unison, "Thank you very much, Mr. Thorndyke. Please feel free to stop at our store anytime."

In the crowd, Topaz and Rouge looked at each other and gave each other knowing looks.

Looks like they had a mission to complete!

                                    💎💎💎💎💎💎💎

"Hello, this is the Thorndyke residence." Mr. Tanaka answered the ringing phone.