Chapter 1

"Nope, nope, fuck no. Why do all these companies suck?" You grumbled to yourself as you scrolled through job posting after job posting on your laptop. You were sitting on your bed absently eating a slice of pizza in your pajamas while you searched. You were hunting through the job listings looking for a company in search of an Omega.

That wasn't at all atypical. Businesses that employed a lot of Alphas needed Omegas on staff to help keep the balance and the peace. Betas could only do so much against volatile Alpha tempers.

It wasn't that you didn't like your current job, but it just wasn't the right fit. You'd worked at a few different companies since you'd graduated from college. The companies were all glad to have you around, but none of them had felt like the right fit. That was also typical. It took a few tries to find Alphas who really fit and felt like safety and home. It took longer to find such Alphas in an environment where you could use your degree or your magic, or something that made you more than just a typical Omega.

It could take forever or absolutely no time at all to find the Alpha. The one who was your mate and meant to be your love.

You hadn't had any luck finding your Alpha yet, just as you hadn't found the right company to work for. You'd temped a couple places as an admin, even though it wasn't anything to do with your degree. You were now working again as an assistant and getting pretty tired of all Omega jobs only being assistants or menial labor. There was nothing of substance. That made sense. Usually, Omegas couldn't hold higher level positions. Alphas ruled and Omegas were cared for, by nature and by nurture. On the other hand, Omegas were the balance for an Alpha's temper. They cared for the heart of the people, while the Alphas cared for the physical safety.

Any of the castes could marry any of the others and Omegas finally had some rights in the US, but the world was still highly unfair toward your caste. Omegas couldn't own a house, for instance, or rent an apartment in their name. You could earn money and have a bank account of your own, thanks to the laws that had passed, but a lot of the world was still stuck in the old ways of thinking Omegas nothing more than pets. Or glorified sex slaves. Thankfully, things were changing slowly, but surely.

You lived in an Omega-house with other unclaimed Omega girls and walked every day to the office nearby where you worked. There was a Beta who acted as house mother as it was determined that Omegas couldn't be trusted to care for themselves, so you weren't allowed to live on your own. Despite that you were a college grad with a job.

It was either the Omega-house or still living with your Father. And that wasn't an option. Not after you'd finally escaped to go to college at one of the universities that had accepted Omega students.

There was a knock on your door. You weren't expecting anyone, but that didn't mean one of the other Omega girls didn't want to come visit, or the Beta coming to check on you. "Coming!" You called and set your piece of pizza back on the plate, wiping your hands quickly as you got to your feet. You padded silently over to the door, your steps light, despite the interruption. You opened the door to see the Beta on the other side. Your new house mother. "Hello, Beta Ann," you greeted her politely. She was new and stuffy and still old-school enough that she wanted to be addressed by her title every time anyone spoke to her.

She gave you a warm matronly smile. It was a bit condescending. "Hello, dear," she always spoke down to the Omegas, as if you couldn't understand what she was saying. "I received your message that you wish to look for a new position?" She made it a question. It was her job to help you find something. Sometimes she could have better connections than the websites that the Omegas could access.

You nodded eagerly. "Yes, ma'am," you replied politely. She really was stuffy and old schooled, but if she could help you... you'd be polite. "It isn't that I dislike my position. It's just... not the right fit," you explained quickly, hoping she would understand.