twenty two: endings

My weight shifted back and forth on the balls of my feet as I obsessively recounted my meticulously planned speech over and over again.

People walking past The Grill probably thought I was having some sort of nervous breakdown, because I grew more and more fidgety by every minute I waited for the unfortunate recipient of my heavily scripted words.

My warm breaths puffed into the bitter air in white clouds, as my eyes drifted around the square. The sidewalks were filled sets of people bustling around inside the shops and cafes. And the once unnoticeable hum of background chatter now seemed to torment my ears with its relentless scream.

I suppose that's what happens after five months of silence.

My heartbeats mirrored the racquet around me, reaching their deafening crescendo as I chewed mercilessly into my lip. Then the thuds in my chest seemed to slam to a halt, my body pinned perfectly still.

The world faded away when my eyes connected with the deep brown eyes I used to know so well, as his figure started to stalk towards me, a wide grin tracing his lips.

"Tyler." I said, forcing my lips upwards into a smile. "Hey."

"Hey." He chuckled, instantly wrapping me into his strong arms. "God, I've missed you, Andie." He whispered, with his body still held to mine.

I pulled away with a small smile, frantically trying to camouflage the anxiety which was beginning to seize control of my body.

"It's good to see you." I nodded.

An uncomfortable silence began to envelop us as our eyes remained connected, his body still pressed close to mine. The quietness that settled around us only emphasised the tension that was brewing between us, and a very familiar look in his eyes made me sure of exactly what he wanted to do.

He wanted to kiss me.

And just as I noticed his face drift an inch closer to mine, a spike in my heartrate forced my lips to blurt the first words that sprung to my mind.

"Should we - uh - should we go inside?" I sputtered, using my thumb to point to the door behind me.

His lips curved as he gave me a small nod, and I began to push through the door, thankful of an easy escape. The welcome warmth of The Grill swept away the remnants of the shivers that trailed down my skin, and I instantly felt my cheeks flush under the heat.

My eyes scanned around the room for a table as I started to unzip my coat. And then just after I spotted an empty table in a perfect place, my eyes fell onto another table occupied by only one member.

I could only see the back of his head, but his brunette hair and soft blue sweatshirt were unmistakeable.

It was Kai.

Suddenly my breaths were stifled as I stared at his back, my heart beats slamming against my ribs.

I couldn't have fathomed a more awkward time to have bumped into him that right at this moment.

"Hey, uh, do you wanna go sit over there?" I asked Tyler, pointing to an empty two-seater on the opposite side of the room from Kai.

"Where are you going?" Tyler giggled, as he stalked in the direction of the table I had pointed out.

"Oh - uh - Kai is sat right there. I'm just gonna say hi, but I'll only be a minute." I explained. "Is that okay?"

"Yeah, sure." He nodded, as he trailed away and to the table.

I pulled a calming breath into my lungs as I creeped over to Kai, pacing up behind him with tentative steps. When my wobbly legs had finally carried me all the way to his table, I craned my neck to make sure it was him. As soon as I leaned forward enough to get a good look, my eyes plunged into his.