seventeen: the letter

Usually, a dissatisfied groan was the fist thing that left my lips in the morning. A sound that served as my daily protest to another night of restlessness and intrusive thoughts. Perhaps even a homage to my utter disappointment that I'd woken up another day in the absence of friends or family.

Today, however, no grumbles tickled my tonsils as I rolled awake. This morning I had broken my routine. My lips instead curled into a small smile, a hearty sense of satisfaction weaving through my chest. Drawn in by the scent of masculinity, I obliged my urge to peel my eyelids open and take a peek at the witch who was curled up beside me.

As my lids fluttered open and welcomed in the warm rays of May, my eyes quickly fixed on the handsome features that rested beside me. Kai's sleeping face seemed to rest in a way that looked so innocent and content, and as his relaxed breaths puffed rhythmically into the air, it was impossible to imagine that such a serene creature could harbour as much trauma as I knew he did.

My skin craved his, so I leaned forward and planted a delicate kiss on his cheek. Just as I started to pull away, his arms wrapped around my waist and dragged my body close to him before sleepily kissing the top of my head.

"Hi." I whispered, pressing my body into his.

I still wasn't sure what the situation exactly was between me and Kai, but I had to admit, waking up in someone's arms soothed the sting of my loneliness.

As the mattress shifted below Kai's twisting body, my mane of curls became trapped underneath him, tugging my hair with a sharp pull.

"Ouch." I giggled, desperately trying to claw my hair away from him.

"Sorry, it gets everywhere. I can't help it." He groaned.

"I'm gonna tie it up." I decided, rolling away from Kai's warmth, and subjecting my toes to the cold wooden floors. "I'll just be a second."

"Be quick." He called after me as I jogged into the hall.

I quickly slipped into my room and started frantically searching for a hair tie. I pulled every item from the top of my dresser, but an elastic was no where to be seen. With no luck, I turned to the nightstand, hoping for a more successful search.

However, as soon as my eyes latched onto the small wooden drawers, the thought of a hair tie was completely erased from my mind.

Propped on top of the nightstand was a cream envelope with the word 'Andie' scrawled across the front. My curious legs immediately lunged towards the letter, and my shaking fingertips grabbed it without hesitation.

My trembling knees buckled under my body that suddenly felt three times heavier, and I slumped on my bed to support my burdened frame. My eyes stared at my name on the front for an absurdly long time, as my fingers locked tightly onto the paper.

After a reassuring breath was dragged into my lungs, I finally unearthed the courage to tear open the envelope. A single sheet of paper was housed inside, and as I pulled it out, my heart inelegantly slammed against my brittle ribs. I swallowed back my nerves with a large gulp and focused on the words scribbled on the page.

'Andie,

We hope you're still at the Salvatore house and that you're doing okay. We've been working on a way to get you back ever since Bonnie and Damon got home. And we finally figured out a way to get a message to you. Hopefully.

You'll be glad to hear that we finally found someone who can help us save you. Ric's new girlfriend knows a thing or two about the prison world, and after some persuasion she's agreed to help us get you out of there.