eighty-three: goodbye

The next morning, Kai had informed me he'd booked us on the evening flight home.

Although, I'd sensed that if it wasn't for the meeting he already had planned with his council for this afternoon, we'd have left on the first flight possible. I wasn't sure I agreed with his reasons for our imminent departure, however, I was in no mood to argue with him over it. Besides, Portland hadn't exactly been kind to me either. It wasn't as if I'd be sorry to see the back of the place.

Kai hadn't wanted to go down for breakfast after his argument with Phillip last night, but I had felt too guilty not to show face. He'd been nothing but lovely to me, and if I was completely honest - I felt bad for the guy. If there was anyone who could understand the way Kai's words stung, it was me. I knew his methods. How he could tear you apart with a few carefully structured sentences, not bothering to really think about whether you deserved it or not.

So, despite Kai's obvious disdain towards my decision, I'd decided to head downstairs and join Phillip. Ten minutes into breakfast, however, I wondered if I should've gone down at all. Phillip didn't talk about the argument once, and didn't acknowledge Kai's absence, but still the atmosphere was so uneasy that I could feel the tension weighing down on me.

Phillip's eyes were sunken, and ringed with bruise-coloured circles which showed he'd been up all night, probably agonising over everything Kai has said. His expression was caught somewhere between the lovely, polite one he'd had since we'd got here, and a new more sullen one. He'd looked on the verge of tears the whole time, though every time I lifted my eyes to meet him, he'd blink a few times and lift his lips into a faint smile. Like he was pretending everything was perfectly normal.

It had taken all of my self-control not to circle the table and give him a hug, but I settled for reaching over and giving his hand a quick squeeze, promising that I'd try to talk Kai round. He'd only been able to smile softly in return, looking pained by even the mention of Kai's name. There was no hatred or animosity in his hazel eyes, only love for the boy he'd wanted desperately to have a relationship with. The boy who had now grown into a man and learned to resent him for his mistakes.

By the time breakfast was finished with, I could've done with another lie down. It was clear all three of us were drained and dreading the rest of the day but there was obviously not going to be a resolve any time soon. Kai hadn't even given me a response when I'd tried to talk to him about Phillip. And he'd refused to leave the bedroom all day. He'd sat on the bed with his arms folded, looking no more mature than a grumpy toddler.

I'd almost wondered if he was going to tell Phillip not to come with him to the meeting, but when the time come, the men left together as they had done the previous day. Although, this time their faces were stern, and their limited interactions uncomfortable. I was just glad I wasn't going to have to sit through a meeting with them, no doubt pretending that everything was alright, whilst completely ignoring each other.

Besides, I'd had my own plans for the day.

As soon as Kai and Phillip had left, I reached for my cell phone, scrolling through my contacts until I reached the letter, 'T'. I needed to talk to Townes one last time before we left. And I was keen on getting to say goodbye to Tommy and Phoebe too. The three of them were one of the only decent things that had happened to me since I'd gotten here. Well, them and Phillip, who I'd admittedly rather taken to.

I felt my heart hammering against my ribs as I keyed in my message, nervous to see him again after crying into his arms last night. It was safe to say, I didn't normally sob into someone's sweatshirt on only the second time I'd ever met them, but clearly these were special circumstances. And if I wanted the chance to see him one last time before I left, I'd just have to swallow my shame and get on with it.