thirty three: allies

Kai's POV

"Fuck." I panicked, as I struggled to pull my phone out of my pocket and used my trembling fingers to type in my passcode. "Shit - okay - please answer."

As I pressed the phone to my ear, I could barely hear anything over my erratic breaths. I had no clue what to do or what was going on, all I knew was that whatever it was - it didn't look good.

The only thing in that moment that I was extremely thankful for was that Andie had put Caroline's number into my phone when she set it up for me.

"Come on." I pleaded as the device blurted high pitched rings into my ear. "Come on, pick up."

Then finally, the line crackled and the rings cut out. "Hello?" A feminine voice suddenly spoke. "Who's this?"

"Oh, thank god." I sighed. "It's Kai."

"Kai?" She repeated. "I can't say I was expecting a call from you."

"Yeah, well life's full of funny little surprises." I snarked. "Listen I really need your help - I think something really bad has happened to Andie."

"What do you mean?" She fretted. "Did you talk to her?"

"Yes, I was waiting for her by her house, you know, to check in on her."

"That was nice of you -"

"No, it wasn't, I should've been -" Then I cut my guilty words off with a sigh. "I'm getting distracted. Anyway, she was all upset then suddenly something changed, and she just started laughing out of nowhere." I explained. "And when I asked her what was going on, all she said was that she 'turned it off' and then she just took off."

"Shit." Caroline cursed. "Are you sure that's what she said, Kai?"

"Yeah, I'm positive." I confirmed. "And I don't know what that even means, or where she went, or how to help, but I need to help her, Caroline, because -"

"Kai, calm down, okay." She instructed. "The only way we can help her is if we stay calm."

As my fingers tightened their grip on my cell phone, I forced a raspy breath deep into my lungs, trying my hardest not to snap at the blonde who was my only shot at helping Andie.

"Okay, I'm calm, fine." I groaned. "Just tell me what the fuck is going on."

"I think Andie has flipped her humanity switch." She informed, with a slight tremble in her voice. "It's sort of like a coping mechanism for vampires when it all gets too much, it's a way of shutting of our emotions."

Suddenly my heart was pounding even harder through my chest, as my brain scrambled to process what this all meant.

"So, she can't feel -"

"Anything." Caroline finished. "She won't be able to feel anything at all."

"But that's awful - that can't end well for her." I panicked.

"You're right, every time a vampire turns it off it's pretty much a blood bath." She told. "And we're going to need to stop her before she ruins her life, so if you really care about her, you'll help me."

"Of course I -" I snapped, before forcing myself to calm down with a deep breath. "Just tell me what to do, and I'll do it."

"Just meet me at The Grill." She instructed. "We need to find her."

"I'm on my way."

~~~

Andie's POV