thirty: introductions

"You know," My Dad mumbled, as he finished the last of his fries. "I think we should make lunch at The Grill a weekly occurrence."

My lips twisted into a small smile as I gave him a keen nod in response.

"I'd like that." I grinned.

"There's something about food which makes you spill all your secrets." He giggled.

I rolled my eyes at him, as a playful grin settled on his lips.

"Hmm, maybe we should just get a weekly coffee instead." I played.

"Oh, come on." He scoffed. "If you can't trust your dear-old-Dad, who can you trust?"

I shook my head at my father, giving him a small chuckle.

"You're right. I guess I kind of like letting you in on the gossip." I shrugged. "But don't tell Caroline, she might get jealous."

"She won't hear a peep out of me." He promised with a goofy smile. "But I do have one question."

"Of course you do." I taunted. "Go on."

"Well, you seem a little happier the past few days." He pointed out.

"That's not a question." I said, before taking a long sip of my coffee.

"My question is, does Kai perhaps have anything to do with this sudden change in attitude?"

As my eyes met my dad's golden brown ones with a small sigh, my mind viciously battled with itself. My thoughts were swamped with pros and cons as I debated between telling him the truth or telling him the fake story I had agreed to stick to.

However, telling the truth seemed all the more tempting when I was actually excited by it. For once, the reality between Kai and I didn't send a jolt of physical pain through my chest, and that was something I was dying to share.

So, with a small glance around The Grill, I ensured there was no one around who knew us. And satisfied that my secret wouldn't be overheard, I decided I would tell my dad the real story. I mean, it wasn't like he was going to go off and tell anyone.

"Maybe." I nodded. "But we're not telling anyone right now. We just want to keep our friendship between the two of us until we figure it out for ourselves." I explained. "So, again, no blabbing."

A wide grin traced his lips as he mimed locking his lips and throwing away the key.

"So just friends?" He pressed.

"Yes." I nodded. "For now, at least."

"But I'll be the first to know when that changes?" He asked hopefully.

"When?" I scoffed.

"Mmm." He nodded. "You told me he was funny. I'm betting on funny to win."

"Oh, you think the funny guy gets the girl?" I chuckled.

His head fell into a small nod, with a faint smile ghosting his lips. "How do you think I ended up with your Mom." He shrugged. "And really, Andie, you're just like her."

A genuine smile tugged across my lips, and a comforting warmth bled through my chest as I looked into my father's kind eyes.

"You never talk about Mom." I uttered.

"Only because I miss her so much." He admitted. "But truly, Andie, I see so much of her in you." He smiled. "She would be so proud of the woman you've become. And I am too - I'm so proud of my not-so-little girl."

I reached out for my father's hand and gave it a small squeeze.

"And I'm so proud of my amazing Dad." I smiled.