ninety three: gifts

The small green box with the black satin ribbon didn't leave my sight.

Since Townes handed it to me on Saturday, I'd been staring at it. I had wondered what might be inside it, and even found myself meticulously narrowing down what he could've gifted me that was roughly the right size and weight for the box. On a few occasions I'd been so close to opening it and looking for myself - but I'd just managed to contain myself. I'd promised Townes I'd wait until today when he came over to open it.

However, when he did finally arrive - I suddenly found it very difficult to focus on the contents of the box.

When I heard the chime of the doorbell, my heart seemed to drop down to my feet, my stomach twisting into tight knots. A sudden bout of nerves overcame me for God knows what reason - and I realised my legs felt somewhat numb as I made my way to the door.

One deep breath was all I took before I pulled it open, and then found myself staring at Townes stood on my porch just like he had on Saturday. It still wasn't a sight I'd quite gotten used to. Townes in Mystic Falls. Though it was a sigh I knew I enjoyed.

His lips curved into a smile as my eyes fixed to his. "Hello, you." He greeted, his voice deep and as smooth as honey.

I couldn't help but mirror his grin. "Hey - come in." I said, waving him into my house. "You sure you're cool with takeout and a movie? We can still go out somewhere if you want to."

"No, I'm good with a night in." He assured. "Honestly I'm just excited to hang out - it's not like we get the opportunity very often."

"I know - I wish we would though." I said, as I settled down onto the sofa in my living room. Townes took the same spot as he had on Saturday and kept his jade coloured eyes fixed on me. "Next time you're here you've got to meet my friends. They'd love you."

He smiled, and if I hadn't known how confident he was - I would've said he almost looked shy. "You think so?" He asked, seeming like he was genuinely flattered. "What are they like? Your friends."

A small chuckle fell through my lips as I considered the answer to his question. I wasn't quite sure of the right words to describe most of them. Unique?

"Well, my best friend - she's called Caroline." I started explaining. "Everyone loves her, she's the best. She's always there for everyone, you know? And she's absolutely beautiful too."

"Wow - sounds like the full package." He chuckled.

"Mmm - but don't get any ideas." I joked. "She's taken."

He laughed, shaking his head. "Hey - what do you take me for?"

I shrugged with a giggle. "I don't know - she is pretty irresistible. You'll see one day when you meet her."

He shook his head, leaning against the back of the sofa with a faint smile. "I don't go for girls with boyfriends." He chuckled. "I'm a respectable guy."

"Well, good - you shouldn't cause any problems in the group then." I smiled. "If you ever come back here and meet them."

He paused, lips gently lifting. His eyes seemed to meet mine in a stare so intense that my breath caught in my chest.

"I'll meet your friends." He said with a small grin. "If you want me to."

"I'd love you to."

He nodded, a handsome smile playing on his lips. "Great." He said. "And maybe you can meet mine someday too. I know they'd like you a lot."

I shrugged. "Everybody likes me." I teased.

"Oh, is that right?" He chuckled.

"Mmm hmm." I hummed. "Just you wait and see."