Chapter 23~ Silence

Bad and Sapnap were just as caught off as Dream had originally been upon seeing George in his arms, and in his state. Dream had carried him in bridal style and called for their potions.
    George had been set in his own room, had been cleaned up, and was being cared for by Bad, while Sapnap and Dream waited outside. Neither spoke. Sapnap looked to Dream, hoping to ask what could have possibly happened in the 15 minutes he had been gone, but kept his mouth shut, upon seeing the dead look in Dream's face. He looked pained and aged, and Sapnap knew better than to pry with Dream. A muffled noise from Bad came from the other room, and the two took this as a sign that they could come in. Sapnap walked in first, followed by Dream.
George looked peaceful in his sleep, and a whole lot better than they had found him in but his eyes remained closed. His skin had a bit more color to it, though still dangerously pale, and there was no trace of blood in sight, a view Dream sighed with despite the small flecks of blood that had dried on George's goggles now, a spot that Bad had forgotten to clean. Dream took notice of it immediately though and moved to clean them. He had moved so suddenly that Bad and Sapnap jumped. They had been watching George but also keeping an eye on Dream. No one was quite sure what he would do next, so when he gently lifted the goggles from George's head, then wiped them off on his hoodie, they both visibly relaxed.
    The silence in the room could cut like a knife. Bad did his best to break it, but after every phrase, the silence easily returns. No one seemed to want to talk right now.
"I checked him all over, his main injury was the one to his stomach, it was pretty bad." Silence. " was able to wrap and stop the bleeding, but I can't feed him any food until he wakes up." Silence. "So I guess, we've just got to hope he does..." Sapnap cleared his throat. Silence.

Dream hurried out of the room, shutting the door behind him. This startled the other two, and they looked at each other, listening to Dreams footsteps as he reached his room, then slammed the door shut. They stood there, looking from each other to George and back.
"I think he's okay right?" Bad said finally. Sapnap shook his head. "At least he hasn't done anything too dangerous." Sapnap nodded and looked back over to his friend lying unconscious on the bed. His voice came out ragged when he finally spoke
"Does Dream know what happened?" he asked. Sapnap was not often as genuine as this. Bad shook his head.
"When he placed George in the bed, he mentioned that he found him surrounded by flowers. This caught Sapnap's attention.
"Flowers? That's odd. Were they blue?" he asked with a bit of his regular tone coming back, the shock of George's state clearing.

"Probably. He had one in his hand" Bad shrugged his shoulders, unsure. This was once again, the last they spoke. It was hard to keep up a conversation with the constant fear of losing their best friend at any moment.

    They all took this news of George differently. Dream, of course, had not shown himself since hearing about George's state. Sapnap and Bad however could not let go of the fact that they had spent their entire morning laughing and making food, without a second worry of what could have been happening to George. Often times they forgot the world they were now forced to live in. A world where danger was around every corner, a life lived in constant vigilance.
    Before Sapnap had ever met his friends he lived his life in recklessness.

Somewhere along the way had he found more to life than what he had always thought? Could throwing his own life away make his friends feel the way he was feeling about George right now? The thought of it all made his stomach hurt. He wished that he could have been the one to die out of them all. He would have had so much less to live for than George, despite their constant bickering.

Bad on the other hand had wanted to create a home here for them to avoid the dangers of the outside apocalyptic world. He wanted to get away from it all, to protect his friends. They protested this every day, and he'd bite his nails until they would return safe and sound... Until now. How could he be so cowardly? He let George go out all alone, and he came back to them this way. He wished it was him to die. He wished it was him, so the other three would always be together. They loved each other too much, and he saw it. He couldn't just let George die.