Chapter 39 ~ The Bridge

It's kinda weird how I started this book out as a bunch of one shots where their adventures began to turn into a plot and here we are! (In case some of you might not know why there's the shift in cliff hangers for chapters and stuff ) but it's pretty easy to notice, right ANWAYS enjoy the chapters!

The next morning came far too soon, and far too loud as well. The birds chirping were much louder and in abundant numbers. Dream's eyes shot open upon the sounds of thousands of squawks coming from outside the tent. He looked over to Sapnap who was snoring right through it, and then over to George, who had his pillow squished over his head. Still too afraid to speak to him, he nudged Sapnap. "Sapnap, wake up! What's going on out there?" Sapnap responded by rolling over and yanking his blanket away. Dream groaned and pulled himself up to look outside. Squinting from the bright light of the morning sun, he looked over to see Both Tommy and Tubbo running back and forth, trying to catch a few of the dozens of chickens that were flooding their campground. Back and forth they ran, almost taunting the boys to catch them, all the while clucking and bocking full volume. The symphony of screeching sounds should have been enough to wake up a Sapnap, yet when he glanced back into the tent there he lay, with George sat up, looking right at him. Dream whipped his head around to face the massacre of feathers once again, heart beating out his chest. George had been looking at him. This would've been the perfect time to talk, they were seemingly alone, Sapnap wouldn't wake up, no one would overhear... yet Dream pulled out his axe and stumbled out of the tent to go chase after some chickens with Tommy and Tubbo.

It was not long when the others had woken up of course, and they decided to just pack up their things and leave the crazy chickens to take over their overnight home.

"Why were you guys even chasing after that many chickens, there was no way you were going to even catch them all" Wilbur said to the boys as they continued their hike to the phantom's nest covered in feathers, scratch marks, and a dream.

"I dunno! I just thought it would scare them off, and once we were into it, those taunting bastards had it out for me! I couldn't just stop then!"

"Yeah!" Tubbo replied. When they looked to Dream, he sped ahead of the others. Dream of course knew there was no point in chasing chickens, but he just couldn't bring himself to face George.

Emotions swirled in his stomach. Looking at the other hurt him physically. It was as if every time he saw George's face he felt his heart breaking. He just wanted him that bad.

He just wanted to undo everything he'd done that night up on the tree.

If he had, they would've been talking, laughing, and working together. They wouldn't have even needed to rely on these other people to get their friends back. The truth of the matter was, he could feel the Dream team was no longer a team, at least not right now. He willed himself to look at George, who looked like he was in deep thought, no doubt overthinking, and no doubt, blaming himself for this morning.

"Uh, hey Dream up ahead!" breaking free from his thoughts, Dream broke to a halt as he looked over and down into a ravine. He turned to look at the others. Sapnap didn't seem too worried, but for a split second, before George pulled his glasses down, he caught a glimpse of fear. Then he was back to that aloof expression once again. George still cared for him, he caught it, of course, he did, he knew George better than anyone else. He really couldn't keep his mind focused on anything else. He'd nearly walked off to his death. Maybe George didn't really care for him, George was the type to always worry. He'd worry about Sapnap and himself all the time when they were out on adventures, and if it hadn't been for him, they might have been dead by now. He shook his mind free from the thoughts and focused on the others who had also looked slightly concerned that he was going to just walk off.