Chapter 26 ~ Flowers

Quick reminder that once I'm done with the book I'll be going over it and making more connections and little things to make the story make more sense and develop characters better... just an FYI if you reread one day and things are different lol

It was a bright morning. The sun had barely risen. In fact, George would say that it still felt like night. He loved the mornings, but today Dream did not want to spend it with him. That was fine by him of course, even though his desperate efforts to keep him awake in the mornings pulled him. They felt like his only purpose for living.

You see, George often liked to go to bed early, but constantly relived the moment he and Dream had snuck out one night to see the clouds. He loved that memory of the two, and because of it, took advantage of his early waking to see the dark sky before it turned into day.

Dawn was one of his least favorite times of day. It just reminded him that his dream was over. The beautiful sunrise was always wasted on his eyes. That night with Dream he had learned to love night clouds far more than day clouds, and now, he dreaded them. The swirls of oranges and pinks that flushed away the purple hue of the clouds always put an uncomfortable pit in his stomach.

The others would then soon be up, and his moment with Dream would be over. The moments they spent together under the night sky were his favorites, for reasons he wasn't sure. He was positive that he loved Dream the same way he loved his other friends, and that was enough for him. Yet he still looked forward to these early mornings alone with one another.

He decided it was unfair of him to expect Dream to be willing to get up so early with him every morning, so while he let Dream sleep, happy for him for finally getting rest, he still felt the same uncomfortable pit in his stomach looking at the dark clouds all alone.

He sat on the tree he and Dream would sit in as they watched the clouds. He wanted to just go inside at this point, there was no one to talk to, but he simply couldn't do it.

The clouds were just that pretty.

So he sat in silence, admiring and wishing his friend were here to enjoy it with him. Right as dawn began to make his appearance, he hopped down and trudged past some flowers and into the house. Bad was there. He did not stay inside for long, feeling out of place for some reason, and quickly told Bad he was going off on a walk.
"Bring your pack!" Bad called before he left. George shrugged and picked up his pack, slung his bow over his shoulders, and plopped his goggles down over his eyes before waving goodbye.

In an appreciative mood, he decided he would make it his mission to pick some flowers for him, ones that reminded him of Dream. He did not often do things like this for his friends for fear of being made fun of, but today was going to be an exception. He already knew how soft Dream was.

As he walked, he took note of all the beautiful green flowers in his view. They reminded him of Dream's sweatshirt, and in a colorblind world, he began to pick them. He couldn't remember the last time he had picked any flowers other than blue. He had never really cared enough. But now he found himself picking up every green flower he set his eyes on.

Everyone would often pity George for being blind to colors, and even though it was a disability of sorts, George really never had any issue with it. In fact, he loved the world he walked in. Dream often described the colors that he couldn't see. He thought that purple might be pretty. He loved the unsure nature of it all. Maybe he had seen purple before somewhere.

Despite the contrary struggle, he came to appreciate some colors more than others, blue for example. George hummed a tune as he picked up only and all the green flowers in the meadow, eventually ending up in the very clearing he and Dream had spent together that night he realized he loved night clouds more than day.