Chapter 43 ~ Plummeting Plan

Wilbur and George finally reached the arch of the mountain where Dream and Techno were there waiting for them. George came up first and Dream saw him immediately. He went to wave, but George's eyes wouldn't meet his own. He turned almost immediately then leaned over the edge to pull up Wilbur. Dream watched as they clasped hands. He saw nothing but a glove, identical to his. It might've been that Techno had just been pissing him off, or it might have been pent-up emotions, but what he did next was not his smartest move.
"GEORGE!" he shouted across the landscape. Everyone's eyes turned to him. Techno's brows furrowed, Wilbur, who had just an elbow on the mountain glanced over in confusion, and George, who still had his goggles down to look at him. They locked eyes, but no words were said,
"What are you thinking!" Techno grunted pulling out his sword. Not only had just their eyes looked to Dream, but every other set of eyes flying above them as well. The phantoms began circling around.
"Oh shit," Dream said, pulling out his ax.
"Are you actually insane?!" Wilbur called from the edge.
"Climb to the top!" Techno called as he swung this way and that at phantoms.
"There's no chance!" George said, Grabbing both hands onto Wilbur that was slipping a bit "There's too many that see us!" Neither Techno nor Dream could respond as they fought to hold back the beasts swooping down at them, then back up into the air.
"George! Your bow!" Dream was able to call. He heard George shout a noise back.

Both looked over to the boys that were at the edge, just in time to see a phantom swooping down at them. Wilbur, who'd just gotten his footing on the ledge and George, distracted as he pulled out his bow, were attacked at once by the beast. It sank its claws into George, causing him to latch both his hands onto it. It's wing knocked Wilbur in on the stomach, his breath gone and before either Dream or Techno were able to formulate a single thought, both boys disappeared over the edge. Shock ensued after that, and only having broken free of it when they heard sounds crashing below.

"GEORGE!" Dream called. He ran as fast as his legs could take him to the edge, skidding down on his knees as peered over. He had complete disregard fr his own safety, and if it had not been for Techno defending his back, he might be sent off the cliff after them.

From below he saw the cave within the cliff, and a cloud of dust obscuring his vision. 
"We're alright!" Wilbur called. Dream got a sickening taste in his mouth as he heard Wilbur respond. He peered into the cloud hoping to spot George. Suddenly an arrow shot past him. Was he truly that mad? But to his surprise, a phantom collapsed on top of him. He pushed it off roughly and watched it fall.
"Keep fighting, Dream you idiot!" He called. Dream smiled, but it didn't last as the rock began to shake. "GET DOWN" was heard below, followed by more crashing and dust. By the time it had cleared enough for Dream to register what had happened, he'd seen the opening gone, caved in on itself.
"Are you alright?!" He called, cupping his hands over his mouth. He held his breath waiting for an answer. He could no longer sit and wait for an answer there, the phantoms were accumulating at the edge, and he could only block them with his shield for so long. He stood and began swinging his axe back and forth at them, still near the edge, straining his ears for an answer. He swung, left and right, the longer the silence the more ragged his movements. He was on the edge. His legs began to shake, his vision shutting down. There was one coming from above, left, right. He couldn't see Techno anymore, but certainly, still, hear his shouts and complaints. Suddenly it all cleared again when he heard someone coughing.
"We're alright, sort of!"
"Situation!" Techno called before Dream even had the chance to respond to George's beautiful voice. Now came Wilbur's
"Situation non-life-threatening, we cannot escape on our own, cannot continue with the mission" Dream scoffed.
"George are you okay?" he called now. George's response was much more pleasing to his ear.
"Yes I'm fine, but we're trapped in here! It's really dark, and Wilbur's got an arm trapped underneath a rock that I can't move alone!" He sounded panicked.
"I'm coming down to help you!" he said. Anything, just anything to get that fear out of George's voice. So he would not be worried any longer. Dream would do anything.
"NO! You need to stay up there and fight for yourselves! We will be alright for now! I'm only concerned about air, we have enough bread to keep Wilbur alive! Just wait for Sapnap okay?"

Dream wanted with all his being to protest, but George was indeed right. He didn't want to live with this knowledge though, he didn't want to accept it, but he continued to fight and left George alone once again. This time with a boy he didn't much like he was coming to realize.