Chapter 24 ~ Unstable

Dream took the trail he had earlier that day to find George. He started out walking along the path, but once their house disappeared behind the earth he began to pick up his pace, mentally unstable.

He felt so unlike himself, breath hitching in his chest every now and again. He thought it might've been a stuttered attempt to stop him from crying, but strangely he'd never felt the need to hold back tears or be strong for any reason. He didn't know he was on the verge of a panic attack.

He ran to the trees, hyperventilating as he climbed up, trying to find some source of familiarity that tres often provided him. A place to feel safety now that his was gone.

His breath was no longer his as he found himself pausing on a branch. He took a long moment to calm his thoughts.

George is gone, he's gone he's gone he's gone.

The world they lived in was quite beautiful with the trees blowing in the wind if only Dream noticed. but all he could see was red.

George was his sanctuary. He's gone. He's dead. He's gone.

Red. Red. Red. That's what steadied his heart beat.

He hopped down once he'd finally contained his breathing unsure everything that had just happened to him.

He found himself stopping in the clearing that he'd found George in. The sun was at its full height now and threatened to make Dream sweat. He fell backward onto the ground, hitting it full force on his back.

He could hardly regret falling so aggressively, he deserved the pain. He did however remember a certain time when he was in this very clearing, with the very someone he couldn't seem to bring his mind off of.

They had been sneaking out of the house late at night, Dream couldn't remember exactly when they'd left, but he did know the stars were out by the time they snuck through the front room, abandoning their weapons idiotically and slipping through their front door. Dream smiled, remembering how the moment the door closed, they laughed out loud and broke the silence of the night with their booming enjoyment of each other. They imposed their happiness on everything around them. If the calming night had been a person, they would most likely be annoyed and disturbed by the joyous boys bounding through his fields meant for stalking prey.

They had run as fast as they could through the dry grass, racing into an unknown land. Why had they snuck out? Dream didn't remember, all he could recall now was the moment they simultaneously ran out of sprint and had fallen down in the clearing Dream lay in now, with the same amount of force. Dream remembered his head spinning after falling down, and looking at George cleared his mind.

George was not looking at him. He looked up at the dark sky, lit up with freckled stars. Dream had followed his gaze, and squinted, remembering the sun was bright and blinding. He looked back over to George, in the deep dark night, his breath was visible as he panted audibly. He remembered panting too. Dream saw George's flushed red cheeks, the blood that belonged to him still inside his body. Dream shivered and racked his brain to remember what George had told him.

"Dream, look at the clouds" That is what it was. Dream remembered being confused and looking back up to the sky.
"The clouds?" he had said, "What about the stars, they're supposed to be the main focus you know." George only laughed in his ear.
"They're beautiful too, but I think night clouds are so pretty" he breathed. Dream looked up at the clouds in the sky now, "day clouds were just as beautiful as night clouds" he remembered saying finally.

What was it that George has said?

"Of course they are, but we don't get to see night clouds nearly as often do we... it is too cold, we are too tired, yet they're still just as beautiful as day clouds."
"All clouds are great, quit giving night clouds so much love," he teased.
"You're just not appreciating the moment in front of you" he had said. Dream looked up in front of him. He was sweating now and dried-up blood surrounded him. What he would do to see some night clouds right about now. He hated day clouds. But George wanted him to enjoy the moment in front of him. How could he enjoy this moment? How could Dream have forgotten such a beautiful memory that he had shared with George? Maybe it was because he had thought the whole thing was a dream itself.

But thinking back on a faultless night, he remembered how cold the air was on his skin, how he was winded from racing George, and how he realized how in love he was. It was in fact a real memory. He even remembered the guilt he felt once they'd returned back to the house to an angry and worried Bad. George had told him then to enjoy the moment in front of him. How could he enjoy this moment?

Revenge. Surrounded by red, it was really the only thing he could think of that filled his stomach with something other than George, other than agony.

He stood, fully decisive on his next step.

    He felt his hand reach to his mask. He pulled it down slowly, a smile evident on his features before it was hidden by the mask. He knelt to the ground once more where George had laid. He dug his index and middle finger roughly into the mass of drying blood, then swiping the two fingers across his mask. The red line slashed through one of the eyes and the right corner of the smile on his mask. He looked back once more. The wind was picking up. He felt like throwing up due to the smell. The wildlife would be here soon. The massacre that was this clearing would soon be cleansed. Hopefully by the time he returned.