Chapter 35

"Rose, it's time to get off the train," Ginny motioned from the door. I closed the my book on wand lore, Ollivander had given it to me to study,  and grabbed my bag.
"Coming."

We were one of the last to slid out of the train, forgoing the rush and trampling of everyone getting off. I could make out my brother further ahead before Draco swung out of the carriage in front, mid discussion with his friends. This would not be good. I turned to Ginny, "I might have to leave. I can feel a storm brewing," I gestured to the two groups ahead. 
She nodded, "Go. I'm right behind you."

"I'm surprised the Ministry's still letting you walk around free, Potter. Better enjoy it while you can. I expect there's a cell in Azkaban with your name on it," I heard Draco call as I slipped in next to Blaise, who automatically swung his arm over my shoulder. 
"Enough, Draco," I called as Draco turned to me while my brother lunged at him. 
"What'd I tell you? Complete nutter," Draco continued despite my warning. 

I turned to Blaise as Harry yelled back.

 "Come on, Blaise." I pulled him along as Ginny came up on my other side as we jumped into the carriage that was about to leave. I sighed as the carriage started moving before Draco could catch up. 

"How long is it going to take before you talk to him?" Blaise questioned, pulling me to lean into his side to annoy Draco, who could still see quite well. 
"I'll let him stew through the feast. He should know by now I can't stay mad at him. I just wish he'd stop this petty rivalry with my brother."
Blaise noticed the frown on my face, which is why I expected his next sentence, "I'll give you a Galleon to extend his punishment to tomorrow."
"Your on!"
"You two are so childish," Ginny laughed at us. With a shared look Blaise and I both turned to her and stuck out our tongues. 

The three of us made our way to the Great Hall. Blaise begrudgingly separated before sitting with Nott, while he waited for Draco to catch up with the others. Ginny and I made our way to the Gryffindor table, squeezing in by the Weasley twins. Harry, Ron and Hermione took another ten minutes before they too took a seat.

Ginny and I took up our new tradition of gambling a bag of fudge flies over the house we believed the first years would be sorted into. Lets just say I have a natural talent and ended up quite happy with my collection. 

"Good evening, children," Dumbledore called during dessert as he took his stance behind the lectern. "Now, we have two changes in staffing this year. We're pleased to welcome back Professor Grubbly-Plank who'll be taking care of Magical Creatures while Professor Hagrid is on temporary leave."

"I wonder where Hagrid is?" I questioned Ginny, who just shrugged before Dumbledore started talking again. 

"We also wish to welcome our new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher, Professor Dolores Umbridge. I'm sure you'll all join me in wishing the professor good luck." 

"She won't last the year," I smirked. 
"That's mean but true," Ginny and I shared a laugh. 

"Now, as usual, our caretaker, Mr Filch, has asked me to remind you-"

Professor Umbridge interrupted Professor Dumbledore and he didn't look to happy about the fact. She rose from her position at the staff table in what could only be described as vomit pink. The toad-like woman swept her way round the table, "Thank you, headmaster, for those kind words of welcome. And how lovely to see all your bright happy faces smiling up at me," I can guarantee nobody was smiling at her. "I'm sure we're all going to be very good friends. The Ministry of Magic has always considered the education of young witches and wizards to be of vital importance. Although each headmaster has brought something new to this historic school, progress for the sake of progress must be discouraged. Let us preserve, what must be preserved, perfect what can be perfected and prune practices that ought to be prohibited."