Chapter 42

My wrist rattled as my bracelet's charms hit against each other as I made my way down to breakfast. The bracelet charms had multiplied during the Christmas break. Ginny had given me a honeypot charm, which she insisted was because of that time where Draco responded to the nickname honey. Blaise had obviously thought the same thing because I now had a white ferret dangling from my wrist as well. He ensured it was because it was the first proper conversation we had but I had doubts. Blaise does most things to get on his mates nerves. Draco had given me two charms, I think so as not to be outdone by the others. I now had a triangular symbol, supposedly to ward of death, and a heart charm covered red in small red jewels, I presume actual rubies considering this was Draco. 

I made my way into the Great Hall and moved my way to the front of the Slytherin table, where I could see Draco eating as he read the paper. Everyone seemed to be reading the Daily Prophet. 

"Oh my god," I almost burst out laughing when I noticed Blaise was the only one not reading the Daily Prophet and instead the book I got him for Christmas. 

Blaise looked up and with the most neutral facial expression said, "You must be a Snitch, because I've been seeking you my whole life." 

"Oh my god!" I collapsed into my seat next to Draco, "Do another one." 

"If you were a Dementor, I'd become a criminal just to get your kiss," Blaise tried before flicking to the next page, "Oh, no. My love for you burns like a dying phoenix." 

"I'm sure you can do better than that," I pushed as I loaded food onto my plate. 

"You must be a Basilisk because the moment I looked into your eyes, I froze," He smirked as he looked up from the book.

I felt my back stiffen and my eyes go wide. Piercing yellow. The looming doom in its stare as it snarled at my reflection in the window. My scream that rippled through my ears before I blacked out. The endless swirling abyss, I couldn't pull myself out of. 

A warm hand brushed against my cheek, cradling my face towards him. "Ro, don't cry. You're okay," Draco pulled me into the best hug he could from his position sat beside me at the bench. "Everything is fine."

Draco ran his hands through my hair. I knew he was there and I knew he was holding me but all I could see was the reflection in the window pane from my first year at Hogwarts. I felt Draco tense, when I didn't respond. "Can you be any more of an insensitive arse, Blaise?" He hissed at Blaise. 

"Oh, bloody hell, I'm sorry Rose. I wasn't thinking." I could hear him apologising and I tried to nod my head but I'm not sure if I actually managed it. 

I felt Draco pull back and eventually the yellow eyes were fading into a blueish grey. "Hey. I'm right here," Draco's voice lulled me, luring me back towards the grey eyes. 

The basilisk's reflection faded away, revealing Draco's worried expression directly in front of my face. "Are you okay?" He spoke, obviously seeing my eyes had focused back in. 

I yanked myself back and grumbled, "I'm fine." I stuffed some toast in my mouth and carried on eating my breakfast in silence, avoiding Draco trying to instigate a conversation. 

"Oh, I've just made one up," Blaise spoke putting his book down. 

"Blaise," Draco warned. 

"Let me take you out, and without a doubt, I'll give you a night my father won't hear about," Blaise spoke as if he was trying to impersonate Draco. 

I found myself smiling slightly at the play on my boyfriend's catch phrase. 

"Yes!" Blaise cheered after he noticed the small smile pulling at the corner of my lips.