Chapter 18

Luke's POV:
The past few hours have been the best of my life. I lay cuddling Mary on my bed.
I think I hear something, but my mom said she'd call when she was on her way. I ignore it and continue to hug her.
"Luke?" I hear her whisper, her voice raspy, thanks to me
"Yeah?"
"I love you."
I feel a small smile spread across my face.
"I.... I love you too, so, so much."
I look over at her and I realize she's asleep. Then I brush some hair out of her face and gently place my lips on her jawline.
My eyes are feeling heavy now, blinking is becoming difficult. I see my ceiling one last time, and then I'm asleep.
*
"What the fuck Luke?" I hear
My eyes quickly open and I see Michael and Calum standing over me.
"So this is why you wouldn't answer your phone?" Calum asks, smirking a little
"I can-"
"Oh my God!" I hear Mary shout
She frantically tries to cover herself up.
"Don't worry, Mary, we won't look." Calum says
"You've got a great body, by the way." Michael says
I stand up and pull my shirt on.
"Why are you here?"
"We were going to ask if you were busy, but obviously you had..... other plans." Michael says
"What time is it?"
"It's eight o'clock." Calum answers
"Oh shit Mom will be here in an hour. Mary we'll get out so you can get dressed, we're all going out. Only... only if you'd like to."
"Um, I think I'd like to go home."
"Ok, we'll take you home."
I walk downstairs and go into the kitchen, Michael and Calum follow.
"So," Michael says "little Lukey finally got some."
"Oh shut up." I say
"Ashton won't be too happy when he finds out." Calum says
"Guys, I seriously just don't give a fuck anymore."
"He'll beat you up. You know that right?"
"Michael, he won't beat me up. And I didn't get anything, we kept a layer on."
"Anyway, where are we going?" Calum asks
"I don't know, I guess we'll drop her off and then just go some where."
"Luke, this isn't going to be a fling, is it?" Calum asks
"No, of course not. I think she's the one. Scratch that, I know she's the one. I just love her so much. She may not stand out to any of you guys, but she stands out to me. She's beautiful."
"Hm." is all they say
"Guys I really need to ask you something. Like, a few minutes ago, she said she loved me. But, I think she was just tired and didn't really mean it. Do you guys think I should ask her to make this permanent? Like, ask her to be my girlfriend?"
"You've got nothing to lose" Michael says
"But guys," I say "what if she doesn't like me like that? What if I just think she likes me?"
"Dude," Calum says "the girl just let you almost do.....the whole razzle dazzle with her. And are you blind? She practically loves you."
"Really? You think she does?"
"I know she does."
Mary's POV:
I really don't know how to feel right now. Everything that just happened.... Why did it happen? Had he planned this a long time ago? Was this all he wanted?
No, Luke isn't like that. He'd never do that. I mean, he said sorry when he fucking pinned me against the wall. I just don't know if he likes me anymore. I mean, yeah he did just almost do it with me, but.... I just don't know.
I walk downstairs into the kitchen.
When I walk in, they all just stare at me.
"You guys really need to stop that." I say
"Are you ready? We can go now if you are." Luke says
"Yeah I guess."
"Okay let's go." he grabs his keys and starts walking out the door
"Um Luke," Michael says
"What?"
"Aren't you forgetting something?"
He stands there for a while before he realizes he almost went out the door in Ninja Turtle boxers.
"Oh, be right back."
When he gets back down, we get in the car.
I have him stop about a block away so my mom or Ashton don't see me.
"Thanks Luke, um see you at school." I say
I walk to the house, go up to my room, and turn on my music. I need to think things through, so I sit on the edge of the bed and stare at the wall ahead of me.
*
I decided to talk to Luke about our friendship. I don't want to ruin it, but I feel the need to take things one step farther. I'm just too shy to take the first step.
Right now I'm eating lunch. It's been really nice out lately, so I decide to go sit in the small patch of grass our school calls a courtyard. I'm the only one over here, so I get to choose my spot. I decide to sit at a table in the middle.
I open my book and begin to read while eating. All of a sudden I feel a shadow cast across me. I look up to see a blue haired Michael.
"New color?" I ask, trying to make conversation
"Yeah." he says
We sit in silence until a question pops up in my mind.
"Why are you here?"
"What, a guy can't just walk up to someone and just say hi these days?"
"Well, yeah he can. But not when it's you, you never just say hi."
"I just wanted to sit with you, Luke asked me to find you and sit with you. He and Calum are still in line."
"Hm." I mumble, reading my book
He sits across from me.
"You know, you're not a very likable person."
I look up from my book.
"I'm not finished yet."
I close my book and listen.
"But, you're not that bad."
"Not that bad?" I ask
"Not that bad looking."