Chapter 21

Luke's POV:
I jolt up out of my bed, sweating. I had a dream about last night. I dreamed Mary had been with me in the car and she'd somehow thrown herself across me to protect the from the shattering windshield. I had her in my arms, sobbing into her.
But luckily I woke up.
I look over at my clock and see it's 8 am. I should probably start getting ready, I need to talk to her.I throw the covers off of me and swing my legs over onto the floor. Then, I stand up, and a low groan comes out of me.
The doctor wasn't lying when he said I'd be sore. I walk to the bathroom and open the medicine cabinet, reaching for the Tylenol. When I close it, I look in the mirror and see bloodshot eyes staring back at me.
I must have cried while I was sleeping.
I throw on some jeans and my flannel, Mary's favorite shirt on me,not bothering to wear a shirt under it. I grab my shows and quietly slip out the door.
Mary's POV:
I wake up earlier than usual. The clock reads 8:00. I decide to get up and get dressed.
I decide to braid my hair even though its still straight from when I straightened it yesterday. I don't feel like dressing up too much, so I just wear a plain grey tee, black skinny jeans and some black Converses.
For some reason I feel like making my bed, so I do. Then I open the windows, letting the fresh spring air into my room. I sit on my bed for a few minutes, then hear my phone buzz.
It's a message from Luke. 'Where you first snuck out.'
I immediately know what he's talking about and climb out onto the roof. Somehow, this clumsy little noodle has managed to climb up on my roof without falling or making a single noise.
"How?"
He's sitting on the roof, with his legs out in front of him, leaning back on his hands and kicking his feet.
"How what?" He asks, showing off a dorky smile.
"How'd you get up here without me hearing you?"
"I have my ways," he says, smiling again "come, sit."
I carefully make my way to him and sit down.
"So, why'd you come so early? And where's Liz?"
"I needed to talk to you, and she wasn't up her when I left."
"Oh ok. Wait, are you ok? You look...different."
He stares at the street and then up at the sky while chewing on his lip ring.
"I-" his voice cracks a little "I had a bad dream, more like a nightmare."
"What was it about?"
He looks down at his hands and then looks over at me
"It was about you," he mumbles "I dreamed I lost you."
He starts to clear his throat and I hear a sniffle. Then I feel him lay his head on my shoulder.
"Luke, you'll never lose me."
We're quiet for a while and then he sits up and looks at me.
"You look nice today." he says with a smile
"You do too."
He looks me up and down, a soft smile still on his face. I do the same ad see he's not wearing a shirt under his button up. I see part of his chest.
He seems to have noticed because he pulls the gap closed with his hand.
"It's not nice to stare at one's chest, Miss Mary." he says
I let out a little giggle, which causes him to smile so much his dimple shows. Without thinking I kiss him on the cheek and it shocks him.
He kisses me on the cheek in return, then pulls back. His piercing eyes penetrate through me and he kisses me again, this time closer to my mouth. He kisses me a few more times, getting closer to my mouth with each kiss. Finally his lips touch mine and I allow this to go on for a few minutes.
I try to pull away, but I just can't. Finally he tries to pull away, but I don't let him. I bite his bottom lip, playing with his lip ring, and I feel the smile spreading across his face. I grab his collar and pull him closer. Finally the heat is too much, and I have to pull back.
"This is going to be so hard." I whisper while pressing my forehead to his.
Luke's POV:
Dear God, this girl does not make things any easier. One thing lead to another and then we were kissing. I tried pulling away, but she bit my bottom lip and started playing with my lip ring.
As soon as she did that, I felt the crotch of my pants get a little tight.
We sit on the roof for a while, until the neighborhood starts to come to life.
"Do you wanna like, get some breakfast or something?" I ask
"Yeah, I'll go get my wallet."
"Mary, don't. It's my treat."
She looks at me for a while "Are you sure?"
"Yes, I'm sure."
"Fine."
"Great!"
She stands up and helps me up. We go back into her room and quietly walk down the steps. We're almost out the door when I hear someone clear their throat. I whip around and see her mum. I hope the look of relief wasn't too obvious, I thought it was Ashton.
"Mum," she says, trying to sound calm "I thought you were still asleep."
"No, I got up early." she says, eyeing me.
"Luke and I were just about to go out to get some breakfast. Would you like for us to get you something?"
"No I'm fine." she sounds calm, but she also sounds like she could go off at any given time.
It's a little awkward, so I try to say something.
"Ma'am, it's not what you think it is. I was just in a little crash last night, I wouldn't be up to doing that in this shape."
I don't realize what I've said until it's already out there.
"No, what I meant was: Mary and I are smart, we'd never...you know."
She stares at me for a few more seconds"I know, I trust you. Just don't make me regret it."
"Ok mum, but make sure you're here at about 10, I need to talk to you."
  "Ok, I just hope its nothing...life changing."
  "It's not, but we should go if we want to get back on time."
  "Just be careful."
  "Will do mum."
AN: wow this chapter was really long