Chapter 4

Mary's POV:
The next day at school, I told Sarah about Luke in history.
"So Luke likes you? Luke Hemmings?"
Just as she says his name, his girlfriend, Kaitlin, turns around.
"Yeah, and I actually wear clothes twice.She has no chance with him, he's mine." She says.
"Not for long, bitch." I say under my breath.
"What was that?" Sarah asks.
"I said not for long. I heard him say they're close to ending things."
"Ooh you'll have a chance!" she says.
I go through the whole class thinking about Luke. What if he did like like me? What would I do if he asked me out? Would I cry? Would I panic? Do I even like him? Good thing we were watching a movie, because I zoned out thinking about all of this stuff.
The only thing that brought me out of my thoughts was the bell signaling that it's time to switch classes. I go to my locker, ducking my head as I pass Kaitlin and her friends. I notice that shes crying. Maybe Luke broke up with her.
"I just can't believe it." I hear her say "he left me."
I keep walking until I get to my locker.
Luke,Calum,Michael,and I are in the same grade, Ashton's a year ahead. Calum and Michael only think they're older than me, but just by a few months. So I might run into Ashton, but I'm sure I'll run into Calum, Michael or Luke.
When I get to my locker, I try to hurry so I can avoid any conflict.
I grab my notebook and feel someone tap me on the back. I figure it's Ashton just messing with me on his way to lunch. I turn around and see Calum.
"You know, you're pretty cool." he says.
"Um thanks?"
He steps towards me until he's uncomfortably close. He puts his arms up and leans against the lockers so I can't walk away.
"So, do you like anybody right now?"
"Not at the moment." I say, my voice shaking. I know, I lied, but what can I do?
"I don't believe you." he says narrowing his eyes at me.
"Well I don't like anyone."
"A little birdie told me that you've got a little crush. Who could it be? Could it be..... Luke?"
I just stare at him, not looking away. I must seem like I'm nervous, well I am nervous, because he just explodes.
"It is Luke! I knew it! I saw you yesterday, you couldn't keep your eyes off of him. Oh God! Michael! Michael! She does! She does!"
Michael runs over yelling "OTP! OTP! OTP!" like he did yesterday.
"Do you want me to tell him? Because I will, if you want me to."
I'm getting really annoyed and I just say "Guys seriously can you stop?"
To my surprise, they do. Then Kaitlin comes over.
"You're such a fucking slut. I saw you flirting with Calum. First Luke, than Calum. I guess Michael's next."
Suddenly Luke appears.
"Kaitlin, seriously, like fuck off." He says.
"Whatever Luke! Go ahead, go out with her! She's a no good dumb rich bitch and worthless anyway!"
I pull out a ten dollar bill and give it to her "Buy some new insults." I say. I'm shocked at my sudden confidence.
She gets mad and storms off.
Now I'm crying. In the past few minutes I've been called a slut, worthless, and no good. I shouldn't be crying, she's called so many things in the past years, but I just broke down for some reason.
"Mary, I'm so sorry about that. Kaitlin's mad because I broke up with her."
I don't reply.
"Hey," he says in a calm voice "you have math after this, right?"
I shake my head.
"I thought you were in my class. Then you have lunch right?"
I shake my head again.
"Well if you don't have any plans for lunch, would you like to sit with me?"