Part 1

Jack

Sparks. I've had many of them in my lifetime. I'm currently thirty-two years of age, happily attached to my girlfriend, Dani and she is my first ever spark. We've been together for sixteen years, yes, we are high school sweethearts.

I remember that day clearly when we were at soccer practice and silently appreciating my view when Dani's top rode up slightly, revealing her toned abs. My mouth watered, although my throat was dry and as she ran down the wing, she yelled my name and I started to run harder. We were a force to be reckoned with and with a perfectly timed pass, the ball collided with head and into the back of the net.

I felt her arms envelope me in a celebration but as our fingertips grazed together, that's when I felt our spark. Dani smiled shyly at me and we jogged back to our positions and continued with our practice. I was always the last one out of the locker room, I was never one to dash off after a practice or a game and as I closed my locker, I all but near jumped out of my skin as Dani stood before me. "Good practice." Smooth Jack, real smooth.

"It was, but there is something we need to talk about, privately." I looked at her in a confused manner and she gestured with her head for me to follow her and I willingly did. We walked back out on to the field and Dani grabbed a ball and kicked it gently to me.

"What is it you want to talk about?" I kicked the ball back to her and she gave me a small smile.

"The spark you and I both felt out on the field. I know I wasn't imagining it." I was going to play this down. Whilst I am openly out, I'm not sure if Dani is. After a couple of passes of the ball, I placed my foot on top of the ball and moved it gently under my foot.

"We've always had a spark Dani, we are a force to be reckoned with out here on the field, you and I both know that."

"That's not what I meant, and you know it." I rolled the ball back to her and gave her a coy smile.

"Then what did you mean, Dani?" I'm evil I know, but I need her to say it.

"I like you Jack. More than like you, I like you, like you." I started to walk closer to Dani until the tips of toes touched each other and I looked into her eyes.

"Prove it." Well, she took me by surprise as she grabbed me by my hoodie strings, pulled me close to her and her lips met mine.

First spark. The only spark I've known for the past sixteen years with another person. Of course, I am used to sparks for a living with the line of work I do as a welder and well excuse the pun, a jack of all trades. It turns Dani on, especially if I come home dirty and fired up as my muscles are usually on show and needless to say, I'm either dragged to the shower or I have a wild evening with the woman I love.

I want to embellish on that spark. I know it has taken me sixteen years to realise that I'm deeply in love with Dani, but the ring hiding securely in my hidden compartment in my chest of drawers is the next step forward to igniting a second round of sparks between Dani and me. But there has never been a right moment to drop down on one knee to propose and let's face it, timing is everything. Tonight, we are going out to a club called Reveal and it's opening night for them. I managed to secure us tickets to the only local lesbian bar and it's exciting. I'm hoping that it's going to be a fun night, especially that Dani has returned home from her time away with work. "Babe come on!! I'm choking to get to the club."

"I'm coming, keep your hair on." Like that first time I seen her top ride up, my mouth watered, my throat went dry, and I rose to my feet as my stunning girlfriend walked into the living room. "What?"

"You look absolutely amazing." I gave her a kiss on her cheek, to ensure that I didn't ruin her lipstick, or we would never get out the door. Her hand ran down over my black shirt, and over the front of my jeans.

"Someone's mighty fine tonight." I knew what she was getting at and I knew that I was on to a winner tonight. That I will get to make love to this wonderful woman that I'm so proud to call my girlfriend. "Let's get going."

Reveal. Ironic that the club is called that after all that was revealed tonight. My head is swimming, and I can't believe that what started out a fun night, is turning into absolute disaster. I was dancing with Dani at the club, the drinks were flowing and Dani dances so sexily and loves to grind against me, especially if she knows I'm hiding something underneath the surface. I had noticed a woman scowling at us as we danced and at first I thought she potentially was homophobic but remembered that we were in a woman's only exclusive bar.

Then I spun Dani around and as I kissed her neck, I looked up and the woman looked absolutely furious. Dani then happened to look in her direction, ignored her and spun around and continued to dance with me. Maybe the woman has mistaken one of us for someone else. But no, she hadn't. Dani went to the bathroom and I had gone to the bar to top up our drinks when the woman approached me and accused me, yes me, of fucking with her girlfriend. I laughed in her face and shook my head and reassured the woman that she was wrong, and I was here with my girlfriend. When Dani came out of the bathroom and then seen us conversing with one another, her shield fell, and panic appeared on her face.

Before Dani could get anywhere near, I asked the woman to name her girlfriends name and when she said Dani, it felt as though my world had stopped. I put my bought drinks into the other woman's hands, turned around and promptly left the club. I walked for what seemed like an eternity, my phone constantly ringing, which I knew it was Dani because of the ringtone and I chose to ignore every single call. Calls, texts, you name it, she tried and as I continued to walk, I finally made my way home.

Unlocking the door, I went straight to the kitchen and into the fridge and pulled out a beer and opened it. The cold liquid soothing my dry throat and I went to the living room and sat down on the sofa and sighed. I cannot believe how this night is turning out, I really can't. Then I heard the door rattle, the key being turned, and the door being opened. "Jack, are you home?" I sat still as Dani's voice penetrated the air. "Jack?" I switched on the lamp I was sitting next to and Dani jumped out of her skin. "Jack..."

"Save it. How long?"

"What?"

"How long has it been going on?" Dani stared at me and started to walk towards me. She finally sank to her knees in front of me and I took another swig of my beer.

"It's not what it seems."

"She called you her girlfriend. That speaks volumes Dani. Did you fail to mention to her that you had a girlfriend of sixteen years? That you weren't single?" Dani tried to touch my free hand and I pulled it away. "I need you to go. Pack your shit up and get out." Her eyes went wide, and she shook her head. The tears started flowing and I knew I would start to lose my resolve.

"I have nowhere to go."

"How about to your girlfriends?" I pushed her out of the way and stood up. "I don't want to see you again Dani. You've ruined everything."

"Jack..."

"Sleep on the sofa tonight or the spare room, but do not grace me with your presence. You've ruined what we had, what we could have been. All for what? A fling?"

"I..." I looked at Dani and shook my head. "Jack, I love you." I scoffed.

"Funny way in showing me how much you love me. Where did you meet her? How long has it being going on? Obviously long enough since she calls you her girlfriend. Before you start stuttering, be honest." I could see Dani about to deny and I lost it and punched the wall nearby, smashing right through the plaster board.

"At work and it's been going on for a few months."

"Great to know that I'm not good enough for you Dani. Great to know that our life together is so dull that you have to fall into the arms of another woman. Great to know I'm worthless to you, we are worthless to you. I want you gone in the morning."

"Jack..."

"You know fine well how I feel about cheating. We have seen our friends being ripped apart by affairs and then you go and have one yourself, fanfuckingtastic." I walked away and slammed the door shut, cringing as I hope that we haven't disturbed our neighbours and I fell on top of the bed, burying my face in my pillow, crying myself to sleep.