Part 4

Ellie

I am beyond frustrated. To put it mildly, Grant is driving me up the wall and I have no idea what is going on with him. Every time I broach the subject, I'm shut down. Part of me is glad that we are still together, it's a roof over our heads, even if we do end up in separate bedrooms after yet another argument.

Tonight, we have been invited to Carson and Damien's. They had announced a few weeks ago they had gotten engaged, and I could not be any more thrilled for my best friend. It's funny in a way. I'm dating Damien's best friend and we were always the life and soul of parties when we went out as a group. I'm not sure why we haven't done that on a while, but who knows.

We were meeting at a local restaurant and Grant, who got home in time from work, for a change, and we were actually showing up as a couple. We were seated at the table reserved for us and I quickly ordered a glass of wine, I needed to take the edge off. I had taken a large gulp of my wine and Grant arched his eyebrow at me. "Don't you think you should slow down?"

"Don't you think you should start talking to me as your equal and not someone you can speak down to?" I sniped back at him. "I don't know what has gotten into you lately, but I don't feel as though we are on the same page."

"I don't get you Ellie. I really don't." We were about to get into yet another fight and a chorus of hellos brought our heads up to see Carson and Damien joining us at the table and I instantly softened at how happy Carson looked.

"Hey bestie, how are you?"

"I'm really good, happy." I smiled broadly at Carson as we conversed between ourselves and the guys had started chatting about the boxing match that was on last night, making us both our eyes roll.

We selected our meal, bottle of wine and as Carson looked at Damien, his eyes twinkled, and I felt a pang of jealousy. Grant doesn't look at me like that anymore and I'm beginning to wonder if we should just throw in the towel. I've tried getting him to open up, to communicate with me, but I'm at a loss now how to salvage this relationship. "I want you to be my maid of honour." I dropped my fork to my plate and let out a little squeal.

"I would be so honoured, honestly."

"Great, it's just you and the two other ladies as bridesmaid's but I'm not revealing who they are until I've spoken to each of them directly myself." I nodded my head in excitement, almost like one of those nodding buster toys you used to get.

"Grant, I want you as my best man." Grant slapped Damien on the back of his shoulder and agreed to be his best man. Despite my reservations about our relationship right now, no matter what, we will be at the wedding fulfilling our friends wishes.

"I'm trying to plan a girly night so I'm hoping to have you all around in two weeks from now. A kind of getting the bridal party together for a chat and to outline our wedding plans. It's also a ploy to cheer Jack up."

"Why? What's wrong with Jack?"

"That day you seen her down the pier, she had just split with Dani." My eyes widened. Everybody loved Jack and Dani together, even myself from afar. Granted, I don't know Jack that well, but Carson always speaks highly of her sister.

"She must be devastated."

"She is. She came round to ours that day you seen her, but I've only seen her twice since then. It looks like she is throwing herself into work and redecorating her apartment in the evenings, I'm surprised she isn't burned out." I looked over to Grant and I tried putting myself in Jack's shoes. I don't think I would be honestly devastated if Grant and I were to split up. "Anyway, here come our food."