Part 16

Jack

It's a few days before the wedding and we are all letting steam off. A last hurrah if you like but we are doing it together. I'm aware that Carson invited Ellie and Grant out but so far, they haven't made an appearance. I still text her everyday but it's just mostly general chat about the wedding but don't get any response. I know if I ask how she is, then I would be endangering her and her home situation. The advice I received from the helpline was second to none and I wish Ellie weren't going through this, hell no-one deserves to go through it, not matter what gender they are.

I've knocked back a bit much already and feeling the buzz when I was approached by a random woman at the bar and she said a few things in my ear, making me smirk and appreciate her humour. It transpires she has a 'to do' list and of course, as per usual, kiss a woman is in her list and she is highly embarrassed about asking if I would mind participating. I cocked my eyebrow at her and reassured her that it didn't bother me that she had asked, I was actually quite flattered, she is a stunner and why the hell not. Except as I peeled myself away from kissing her I heard a familiar voice. "See, if she genuinely had feelings for you, she wouldn't be snogging some random woman."

Arsehole. I swear if I could get away with it, I would punch him square in the fucking jaw and take Ellie to safety, yet I was frozen to the spot after the woman walked away. I couldn't turn around to even face Ellie and Grant and I just tipped my shot back and wandered off to the bathroom and although I didn't need to go, I locked myself in a cubicle and shoved my face in my hands. It's like either way, I can't win. He is driving a huge wedge between Ellie and her friends and I cannot see a way out of it and feel powerless to stop it. "Jack?" Carson called out and I stayed quiet for a moment longer. "Jack, please, which one are you in?" I opened the door stepped outside the cubicle. "What's going on?"

"I can't tell you."

"Seriously?" Carson gave me a look and when she normally gives me that look, I spill my guts to her but this time, it's not my place to divulge any information. "I get kissing a lassie, it's just the way you are, plus your single. But to not even acknowledge Ellie or Grant that's a low blow, even for you." I shot Carson a look and I shook my head.

"She doesn't want to know me. She has made that abundantly clear. I'm going to go home and just leave you to your couples night. I will see you on the morning of your wedding."

"Jack, come on..."

"No Carson. Just leave it. Trust me on this. Please?" Carson nodded her head, and I adverted my gaze when we left the bathroom and shoved my hands in my jeans pockets and walked passed them all, muttering goodnight to them and left the bar.

It may have seemed cowardly not to stand up to Grant, but in hindsight, if I did, I could potentially make things worse for Ellie at home. I don't want to be responsible for that and ruining my sister's wedding if her maid of honour can't even show up. The alcohol is starting to cloud my judgement between right and wrong and I'm starting to doubt myself, which is never a good place to go. Getting home, looking over the pictures of Malta, happier times that we all shared, and a tear trickled down my face. I don't know how to save you Ellie, I really don't.

Ellie

I'm tired. Actually, beyond tired, I am exhausted. Ever since I came back from Malta, Grant's jealousy reared its ugly head, I had to hide from everyone. It wasn't like I had to, I needed to. I could barely move, and tonight is the first time that I've genuinely been able to move without any pain. It was hard ignoring not only Jack but Carson's messages and some other friends. I'm ashamed that I've not managed to get up and leave Grant, but I know that I am going to have to do it soon before it goes any further.