Chapter 57

Jack

Epilogue

Three Months Later

Three months on and I'm the happiest I've ever been. My marriage to Ellie is going from strength to strength, Carson and Damien are happily in love in their marriage, our friends are happier, and life just seems to be on the up right now. Ellie has started her own business and it's really taken off, but she makes sure that she has set working hours, that it doesn't interfere with our life. I have dialled back my workload and only help on site when we are short staffed or needing holiday cover. I wanted to give Ellie my all, our marriage everything and the best start possible and it's nothing short of amazing.

Ellie's night terrors about Grant had subsided dramatically when we knew his appeal had failed and the more she focused on us, her new job adventure, she seemed happier, free and looking forward to building a future together.

Two Years Later

"I don't know what to do Carson, it's like every time I suggest something, try to touch her, I'm pushed away." It was like a switch had gone off in Ellie and I was repulsive to her. She shied away from me touching her, kissing her and I honestly can't remember the last time we actually made love. Actually, I can, and it was sizzling hot, that's why I don't understand the sudden coldness from Ellie.

"The only way you can find out Jack, is by talking to her."

"God knows Carson, I've tried. I've tried everything and I'm simply scared that this is going to lead to us not being able to bring the magic back. I know long term relationships get into ruts and things, hell, I was in a long-term relationship as you know before Ellie, but the thought of her leaving, it's absolutely breaking my heart."

Carson

Watching Jack break was pulling at my heart strings and as I was about to give her advice, my daughter screamed at the top of her lungs. "I will get her sis; I need a distraction." Amy has just turned one and found her lungs. She was a quiet baby, even during teething, but recently she is screaming at the top of her lungs. Realistically, I know it is because she's in her own room now and not with Damien and I as much. "Here she is. Auntie Jack's best gal."

I looked up and my heart lurched. Jack would be a great mother and I know despite their attempts; their IVF treatment had been rocky and unsuccessful. "There's my girl, now what was all that noise about?" Amy gave a cheesy smile and my heart just melted.

"Now that the little terror is awake, I'm going to head, thanks for the chat sis." I looked at Jack and we gave her a hug and watched her leave . I quickly grabbed my phone and dialled the number that needs a warning. "Hi, it's me."

"Hi Carson."

"Listen, you better start talking to Jack and I mean really talk to her. She's been here this afternoon and is completely distraught. She's thinking that you are going to end your marriage and leave her heartbroken."

"Carson...I..."

Ellie

After my phone call with Carson, I made myself scarce out of the house. I know it was a cop out, but I didn't want to be home when Jack arrived. I needed to put my final plan in motion and hopefully it will give Jack what she deserves. I just needed to grab a few things and start making up to my wife for my behaviour recently. I hope when I get a chance to explain, things will become more than crystal clear for Jack.

Two Hours Later

I unlocked the door to our home. Essentially, I like to call it the home that Jack built. She may not have put down the foundation to this place, but she had renovated it beautifully and the guilt built in my stomach. I remember how hard I was on Jack when she was being secretive when she was working on our forever home. That's how Jack must be feeling but knowing that she thinks our marriage is in trouble and I'm going to end it with her, breaks me. It was never my intention to make her feel that way, never.