~ C h a p t e r 81 ~

~ Nights Up High In The City ~
> 2074 words <
>unedited<

The news reached Kai two days after the incident.

Silv and Kai's job in America was almost over: Kai's cousin was mostly healed up, so the both of them would have to leave soon. Sure it had been fun, going to new restaurants and eating new foods together, and just all around sight-seeing and hanging out when the two were not working. All in all, the trip was nice-although the lingering anxiety did seem to break away at Kai's mind every once in a while-and they only had a few days left before Kai's cousin was cleared and they could go back home.

So you could imagine Kai's surprise when late one night she got yet another phone call from Japan. Sure, she got a few calls from Eri and Kota, but this time it was once again from UA. What could they possibly want?

At that moment, Kai was in their hotel room, getting ready for bed. And for a moment, she contemplated hanging up and just going to sleep.

That was until she realized that it was UA calling, and that meant one of the buffoons she lived with probably did something.

Did Shigaraki accidentally disintegrate the electrical box and generator and owed the school hundreds of millions of dollars?

Did Kurogiri kidnap class 1-A to the aquarium to piss off Aizawa again?

Did Toga start to try selling blood-slurries to customers? Did Eri try to help her and made advertising for it? Did Kota collect the money properly or did he leave it a jungled mess in the register?

Kai, like a lot of people, hated the unknown. It let your mind wander and dig deeper into things she didn't even want to think about. It was like a drug.

So she clicked the accept button. And she could had never seen what was coming.

"It was targeted for 'Zuku?" Kai asked, her tone sharp. "Are you sure?"

"Unfortunately, it could only be for Izuku. It was intended for someone to see it, they must had known Izuku would have a high chance of seeing it on scene." Kai's hand clutched her phone, her eye glaring through her window at the city below. "Not many Izuku's live in the area either, and even then, Izuku is the only one to have any ties to any villainess organizations."

"Do you think it was..." Kai paused before spatting out the name, "the league?"

The mere idea that the League Of Villains, the people who hurt her friend for years, trying to target him? It made her blood boil. Izuku shouldn't have to deal with that, with the people who hurt him trying to get him back.

"That is...a very likely probability."

"What else," Kai asked, "You hesitated." Street lamps, cars, and neon-signs on buildings lit up the roads below Kai's room. The blackness of the sky blanketed the world around her, making the lights more prominent.

The sight only aggravated her more. She should had just stayed home.

"We have reason to believe that the child murderer is involved. And..."

"And what?" Kai's voice went soft.

The clocks ticks echoed in Kai's room before Nezu answered. "We are almost certain that the child murderer is Izuku's mother."

The cars stopped moving. The clock stopped ticking.

The air was still and silent.

Kai took a deep breath. "Are we... sure? Could it possibly be a mistake or something?" She didn't accept it. She didn't want to. It was too real now.