Chapter 3: Confusion

~ Confusion ~

"So I have to stay..." I pause, blinking. "Or you'll steal my pop-tarts?"

I drew a blank, staring at Eri with a deadpan expression. She nodded, a smirk on her lips that I can only compare to someone thinking they have the upper hand in a war.

"Mhm! Don't even think about leaving mister, or I'll eat each and everyone of them right here, right now."

She held up the strawberry flavored box of pop-tarts, a victorious look on her face after she said her threat. Why was she threatening me... with pop-tarts? A smile crept its way on my face, why was she threatening me to not do my job? Did she miss me that much? Or did she want the pop-tarts that much?

I stifled a laugh, kneeling down in front of Eri—who looked confused—and put my hand on her shoulder. "E, you can have my pop-tarts, okay?"

She opened and shut her mouth, gaping like a fish before she shook her head and gasped dramatically, prodding her finger into my chest. "You—you! How dare you!" She hugged the box, "The pop-tarts are offended!"

I shook my head with a laugh, placing a hand on my chest and pretending to act wounded. "Oh how dare I! I'll just buy you more pop-tarts, okay? You just need to ask. That way me, my pop-tarts, and you are all happy!"

Eri glared at me, shaking her head. "I'm still not happy!"

"E, I can't just not do my job—"

"Actually yes you can not do your job," Eri sulked, "You aren't being paid for it and you get hurt!" She placed her hands on her hips, pacing around me as if she was a teacher giving a lecture to their disobedient students. "What if one day you pass out during your patrols! You'll be all alone, sleeping in the cold night!"

I couldn't help but smile, glancing away from her: been there, done that.

"Eri... I might not be paid for it, but I'm saving people, okay? Remember how I saved you? I have to go and save the others that are like us, and take down those bad bad people."

"But isn't that a hero job? Why can't you just stay home!"

My smile dropped. Heroes... no hero ever saved me. And a hero never saved Eri. "E, sometimes heroes don't do good jobs... so people like me go out and do it for them."

She looked at me, scanning my face for any sort of hint I was lying and finding one. She let out a sigh, pouting and turning away: time for her last resort. She grabbed the pop-tarts and walked away.

"Eri?"

She paid no attention to me, and continued to walk towards the wall before stopping and staring at it. I stood up, "E?"

She ignored me again.

"Eri I'm sorry..." I clicked my tongue, trying to think of something to get her to stop ignoring me. A small compromise, if you will. "How about this, I'll let you check on my injuries every night."

Eri smiled and turned around. Oh no, I just fell right into her trap, didn't I? Curse this smart child. Now that she knew I was doing bargains, she probably had something in mind.