Chapter Fifty

"So I'm cleared? I can go home now?" I asked Dr Hines.

I had been concious for a little over a week now, and I was finally beginning to feel like myself again. My body was getting back to normal, and all I wanted to do was be anywhere but the hospital now.

"You're cleared from me, yes. Your physical injuries should take a few more weeks to heal; and with a steady and consistent diet you should be back to your normal weight soon. However, Dr Scott still has some concerns about your mental state." He said.

"My mental state?"
"Her mental state?" Callum and I said simultaneously.

Dr Hines nodded. "Until she clears you, you're stuck here with me." He smiled sadly.

"But I'm fine, really. I think it's time I go home. I miss my bed, and my books, and my shower." I ranted.

Callum held my hand. "I can go to your house and grab some books if you want."

I shook my head. "I want to be able to get them myself. I want to go home Cal."

"I get it." He said, and turned to the doctor.

"What can we do to get her out of here?"

He looked at the both of us before he answered. "All you can do is be honest with Dr Scott. Continue to have your daily sessions, and I'm sure you'll be out of here in no time." He stood up and put his hand on my shoulder.

"I know you want to go home Dylan, but we can't rush these things. What you went through was horrific and everyone on your team just wants to make sure that you are able to handle everything once you leave from here."

"Fine." I muttered, turning away from him so that he wouldn't see me cry.

Callum rubbed my thigh soothingly.

"I'll be back to check on you tomorrow Dylan." Dr Hines said.

I nodded, not turning my head until the door was closed.

The second he left, I broke down.

Callum wrapped his arms around me, and whispered reassuring words in my ear.

"I can't take this anymore Callum. I hate it here. I want to be back at school, I want to go back to work. I need to get out of here." I cried.

"I know you do, Sugarplum. I know. But I'm here with you, and I'll be here everyday until you go home. You won't be here forever, everything's going to be okay."

I didn't say anything, only holding him tighter. I cried until I fell asleep, wrapped in Callum's arms.

-

"Dylan, there are people here to see you." My father said, waking me up.

I rubbed my eyes and sat up in my hospital bed. Looking to the door, my cousin Nessa was peaking her head in.

"Come in." I smiled at her.

She walked in with our cousin Marcus trailing behind her.

"Hey guys."

"What's up Dylan, how are you feeling?" Marcus asked.

"I'm fine Marcus, same as yesterday when you asked." I laughed.

Marcus grinned and sat on a chair beside my dad.

Nessa sat at the foot at my bed with a nervous look on her face.

"So you know how I told you about our family looking for you and stuff like that." She said.

I nodded.

"Well now that everyone knows that you are okay, they kind of want to meet you."

I raised my eyebrows. I was apprehensive about meeting my mother's family before I was kidnapped, but now I wanted to meet them. Life was too short to contemplate and wait.

"I want to meet them too." I said.

"Are you sure, Dylan? That could be too much for you." My father spoke.

I rolled my eyes at his continued attempt to keep me from my moms family.

"I'm fine, after all they are my family."

"Well," Nessa said, fiddling with her thumbs. "My mom and our grandma are in the hall right now waiting to come in." She stated sheepishly.

"What?!" My father said, standing up.

"It's okay Dad, I'm glad they're here. Marcus, tell them to come in." I said to my cousin.

Marcus got up and walked to the door, and my father, still standing, had a very irritated look on his face.

In walked in my aunt and my grandmother, both with nervous dispositions. Nessa's mother looked identical to her, only slightly taller. She had her hair braided up in a bun, and I immediately recognized her from the photograph of my mom and her siblings. My grandma was very short, with curly silver hair framing her face. As I watched her come in, I noticed that she had the same big, almond shaped eyes that I had.

"Hi." I said, gently waving at them.

My aunt smiled, and my grandma's eyes filled with tears.

"Hi Dylan, I'm so happy to finally meet you, I'm your Aunt Tanya."

Seeing my grandma cry was beginning to make me cry, so I held it in.

"You look so much like Ava." My grandma said. She walked closer to my bed and put her hand on top of mine.

"You really do." Tanya agreed.

"Is it okay if I hug you?" My grandma asked, her voice lightly trembling.

I nodded, and received her hug with open arms. It was tight, and long, and it made me feel like I was connected to my mom.

She let go of me and looked into my watering eyes.

"We have the same eyes." I whispered.

She nodded, smiling. "We do."

"It's good to see you, Steven." She said, turning to my father.

He nodded at her. "And you as well Candace."

Me and my mom's side of the family talked, while my father observed and said nothing. As my grandma and aunt gushed over me, I still couldn't help but think about the giant elephant in the room—— the reason why my mom cut them from her life.

I knew that no one would bring it up in this moment, but I desperately wanted to.

Just as I opened my mouth to ask the question that had been on my mind for months, Callum and his family walked in.

"Oh." He said, looking around at everyone. Callum looked to me and raised his eyebrows. "We can come back later?"

I immediately shook my head. "No, no, I'm glad to see you guys." I gestured Callum, Sara, Darcy, and Connor over.

Sara immediately ran over to me and jumped into my bed with me and Nessa.

"These are my mom's relatives, Tanya and Candace." I said to them.

"And this is my boyfriend Callum, and his family."

"Your family too." Darcy piped up, smiling at me.

I laughed and nodded. "Yes, my family too."

Nessa's mom greeted them all, while my grandma remained in the chair, seemingly upset. I looked at her, and then looked at Nessa who shrugged.

"It's like a party in here now." I laughed, trying to ease the now tense room.

Sara giggled and layed her head on my lap. "You're funny Dylan."

I nodded, looking at the awkward faces around me. "I'm glad someone thinks so."