Chapter Twenty One

My birthday party had been going on for several hours now, and I'd been conversing with random people non stop. Many of the adults that my father invited had already left, but all the kids from my school were still here. Hector from my job met my dad for the first time, I felt a little weird introducing them because Hector had been more of a father to me than my own father was, nevertheless, their meeting went nicely. Soon after the whole awkward exchange with Callum's parents and Eliza, they found an excuse to leave, promising that they'd celebrate my birthday privately, at their home. Callum obviously stayed, and now were sitting in the kitchen eating and watching Amy float around the party like a social butterfly.

"I don't know who seventy five percent of these people are." I whispered to Callum as I popped a piece of bacon wrapped shrimp in my mouth.

"Well your dad had me invite some people from your job, and when I told Amy about the surprise party I guess she just went a little crazy." He laughed.

"Of course she did." I laughed, shaking my head.

"Are you at least enjoying yourself?" He asked, as he played with a lock of my hair.

"Yea, it does feel nice to be celebrated, even if I don't know these people." I laughed.

"Well I promise to celebrate you everyday." He whispered, as he inched towards my lips, and softly pressed his lips against mine.

I pulled away and met his eyes. "I love you." Giving him another quick peck.

He smiled and replied, "I love you too."

"Sorry to interrupt, but could I have a minute with my daughter." My father said, walking towards us.

"Of course." Callum nodded, sending me a smile before leaving the kitchen.

"What's up." I said to my dad as he sat beside me.

He stared into space a bit, before his hazel eyes finally met brown ones. "You two have really gotten close, huh?"

I felt a blush creeping up, not knowing where this was going. "Uh yea, you can say that."

"Mmm." He hummed, as he swirled the bourbon in his glass.

"Is that a problem?" I questioned, unsure of his behavior.

"No, no.. I just hope you two are being safe." He said, looking down at the island and not meeting my widened gaze.

I choked on my saliva a bit and started to cough. "Dad, we don't talk about this stuff. Please stop." I said, blinking rapidly.

He looked up at me with a slight frown on his face. "Well I know these things can be delicate, but you don't have a mother to talk about this kind of stuff with. I had hoped Eliza could be that but clearly that isn't the case."

"That's an understatement." I muttered.

He shook his head. "That's besides the point, I just wanted to let you know that you can come to be regarding anything. I want us to be closer now that I am putting so much of my trust in you."

I looked at him confused by his statement. "You are?" I asked.

"I am. As a part of you birthday gift, Eliza and I will be leaving and staying at my place in the city tonight. I want you to have fun with your friends so I am trusting you with the house until Sunday."

"Really." I said, startled.

"Don't look so surprised, I can be a cool dad if you let me." He laughed. "I just want you to be careful, but I also want you to have fun, you deserve it."