Wedding Bands

"Friends, Romans, countrymen – lend me your ears."

-Mark Antony, an excerpt from Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare

---

Win

According to history, pagan Romans and Greeks may have started the tradition of engagement and wedding rings. The rings were worn on the third finger of the left hand, believed that a vein runs directly to the heart. Almost the same concept as the Japanese belief of the Red Thread of Fate that Team had told him before.

"Phi.. You promised to come to our reunion.", Praewa was almost whining as they enter the jewelry store.

"Did I? Maybe I forgot.", he teased the girl and continued to greet the shopkeeper.

"Don't be like that, Phi. What are we doing here anyway?", the dark haired beauty asked. 

"I don't know about you, but I'm here to pick up my order

"I don't know about you, but I'm here to pick up my order. Why did you follow me here anyway?", he asked her.

He was there to get the rings he had ordered before. It was a surprise that was way past due and he didn't want to postpone it any longer. A wedding band for a proposal. Something that will unite him and his Nong for a lifetime. A ring that originated from pagan mythology and superstitions symbolizing marital commitment which was popularized by western culture during the Middle Ages as part of Christianity. Although they were born Buddhists, the western tradition was already a popular addition on Thai weddings. The shape of the ring itself represents eternity and it intrigues him. A symbol of unending love and devotion. An endless companionship, securing an agreement that has no beginning nor end.

"Because, you were not giving me a straight answer. What did you order? Is it for your faen?", Praewa asked him as the shop keeper presented a pair of rings in a box.

There was a difficulty in picking the perfect rings that he'd give his Nong. He wanted it to be significant. A token that shows how they started and how they would be in the future. He had contemplated if it would be in gold, silver or brass. Something that could withstand any types of water exposure. Chlorinated, salt water or tap. One that would last the test of time.

He settled with silver, though it might oxidize, he wanted something clear. Just as he wanted their relationship to be. And like any relationship, to keep it from turning dark, they would have to maintain it and take care of it.