*Thunder*

Team

"Happy birthday, Hia.. Happy birthday, Hia! Happy birthday.. Happy birthday! Happy birthday, Phawin!"

Hia blew his candle after we sang our greetings. It was a minimalist round cake with the numbers two and one as a topper. We clapped in unison as he started to slice a piece of cake to indicate that we can eat it now after the celebrant.

I am happy that I get to witness his birthday for the first time with his family, but I'm also sad that I wasn't able to give him any present on this day even though it was a late celebration.

Each of his family member started handing him a gift as we sat around the dining table. Even their father who was away on a business trip left a present representing him for Hia. They were such a warm family.

They didn't invite any guests though except me who was totally clueless. It was just a simple family gathering for a birthday with a stranger.

"Don't be sad, Nong, if you don't have any gift to give to my luuk chai. You're a gift enough for him.", Mrs. Wanichakarnjonkul tried to console me as she heaped a portion of each dish that was on the table.

I didn't comment about her comparing me to a gift since Hia is eyeing me again with his mischievous smile and endearing eyes.

"Maae, you're spoiling P'Team too much.", View sounded jealous as his mom poured some drinks on my glass.

"Khob khun khap, khun paa.", I thanked Mrs. Wanichakarnjonkul.

"Mai pen rai ka, Nong. Call me, Maae.", she said it was nothing as she waived into the air.

I could feel myself going red in the ears with her recommendation.

"Oi.. So what should I call P'Team? Phii sa-phai or Phii khooei na..", View emphasized on the last part as he looked at Hia, boldly indicating him as his older sister.

"I didn't say that I'm Nong Team's maae saa-mii or maae yaai. Stop twisting my words, luuk chai na.", Hia's mom justified herself.

Hia smiled at his younger brother with his eyes slanting to a slit. View's mistake was sitting beside Hia and teasing him because Hia wiped a handful of cake on his cheeks.

"Maae! Hia's wasting a good cake na!", View was whining like a baby.

We all bursted out laughing as View countered with his own cake to Hia's face. Hia suddenly turned to me and smudged his cake laden lips into my cheeks.

"Ai, Hia!", I called him out as I pushed him away.

They continued smudging each other with the cake like little kids. Even P'Wan joined in the war and they were already running out at each other to the pool.

"Ahw, Nong. Let's go and clean you up in the kitchen. Khor thot ka na", she apologized in behalf of her sons.

She handed me a roll of paper towel near the kitchen table and she started telling me about their family as we sat near the kitchen island.

Huajai Wanichakarnjonkul is a business woman who specializes in interior decoration for hotels and resorts around the provinces of Thailand. She's into developing the country side's small lodging business and helping out small business owners rather than established businesses which reminded me of Hia's advocacy with start ups.

She met her husband Songsit Wanichakarnjonkul who ventures with international hotel and resort chains to invest in Thailand. They didn't get along because of their clashing ideals but the end was very clear with three grown boys still making a scene somewhere outside of the couple's house.